Green terror with transparent poo

Vix1987

Hi
I’m after anyone’s suggestions on how best to rid my green terror of what seems like internal parasites . I have been dosing with ESHA 2000 fungal one for the past week and have done a thorough clean and will continue to do more frequent water changes than I would normally x2 a week instead of x1. He does seem to have perked up a bit and I removed him from the separation cube as he seems happier to be able to swim and play in the jets. He is a little timid and won’t compete for food now he just swims away so I’m trying to give a range of foods to entice him and at different ends of the tank to give him a chance now he’s 2nd smallest in there
Feeding
- prawns broken up (will go for but won’t compete)
- bloodworm (loves but doesn’t get much)
- dried brine shrimp (ate a little)
- cichlid pellets (won’t eat spits out)
- floating pellets (won’t eat)
- tropical crisps (will go for bits)
Fish
- x2 fully grown convicts 6inches
- x3 electric acara x2 3inch x1 2inch
- x3 blue acara all approx 3inch - fasted growing
- x1 fully grown rainbow 3inch

the green terror is about 2 inches - picture of him attached

is there anything else I could be doing to help him “go” and pass whatever it is out of him

thanks in advance !

HolyKamikaziBetta

Ok so...
My community tank has an issue with Camallanus worms... I went to my lfs and looked for something to kill them... couldn’t find anything... so upon my research discovered you can use panacure c, canine dewormer. I’m having excellent results.
It’s powder form... so what I’m doing is melting 1 cube of bloodworms with 1/2 packet of medication and a dash of garlic. and feeding my fish.
the next day, I wake up and do a large water change then repeat.
I feed 2x daily.

A201

Nice looking baby male Rivulatus. As long as the little guy is eating, likely no worries.
The problem might be something as simple as intimidation. A pair of adult Convicts alone could cause enough stress to adversely effect the GT's appetite.
Might try dispersing the food at seperate ends & adding more decor as to provide retreats for the GT.
I've raised several GT's. Once he hits the five inch mark the listed tankmates won't intimidate him.

Vix1987

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
Ok so...
My community tank has an issue with Camallanus worms... I went to my lfs and looked for something to kill them... couldn’t find anything... so upon my research discovered you can use panacure c, canine dewormer. I’m having excellent results.
It’s powder form... so what I’m doing is melting 1 cube of bloodworms with 1/2 packet of medication and a dash of garlic. and feeding my fish.
the next day, I wake up and do a large water change then repeat.
I feed 2x daily.
Really ... and it’s been safe for your fish so far ?? I do have a deworming medication I had got for my betta fish earlier in the year but you could see those worms protruding .... Classic though I go to pets at home to ask if they had something in stock and they tell me they’ve never heard of fish worms ... had to show them the pages I’d been reading up on

Vix1987

A201 said:
Nice looking baby male Rivulatus. As long as the little guy is eating, likely no worries.
The problem might be something as simple as intimidation. A pair of adult Convicts alone could cause enough stress to adversely effect the GT's appetite.
Might try dispersing the food at seperate ends & adding more decor as to provide retreats for the GT.
I've raised several GT's. Once he hits the five inch mark the listed tankmates won't intimidate him.
Thankyou he’s a nice colouring for a juvi , I’m going to move a little coconut cave I’ve got to the end where the jets are he seems to keep going there to play . I’m planning on putting much more long stem java in there and some more of the wood - I’ll post a picture of the full tank . I just can’t get long stem atm

Vix1987

A201 said:
I did also ask my friend who keeps predator type fish for his suggestion on moving him to tropical tank but he said no leave him where he is because will upset the balance and could make him more timid when I introduced him back.
In your experience how long does it take them to reach 3-4 inches (obviously when eating more)

HolyKamikaziBetta

Vix1987 said:
Really ... and it’s been safe for your fish so far ?? I do have a deworming medication I had got for my betta fish earlier in the year but you could see those worms protruding .... Classic though I go to pets at home to ask if they had something in stock and they tell me they’ve never heard of fish worms ... had to show them the pages I’d been reading up on
Yep! The active ingredient in panacure c is the recommended medication for Camallanus worms and other types of worms. If you purchase it as medicated fish food... you’re paying extra, for the same thing you can get from 10$ dog dewormer. What I’ve done is just put 2 cubes of bloodworms in a cup with 1/2 packet of medication... I feed this and only this 2 times a day. I do a water change when I wake up in the morning and repeat. I let the excess medication sit overnight in hopes it’ll kill whatever little worms are left in the actual water and substrate. I’m having excellent results so far, and I’m on day 4 of treatment.

Vix1987

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
Yep! The active ingredient in panacure c is the recommended medication for Camallanus worms and other types of worms. If you purchase it as medicated fish food... you’re paying extra, for the same thing you can get from 10$ dog dewormer. What I’ve done is just put 2 cubes of bloodworms in a cup with 1/2 packet of medication... I feed this and only this 2 times a day. I do a water change when I wake up in the morning and repeat. I let the excess medication sit overnight in hopes it’ll kill whatever little worms are left in the actual water and substrate. I’m having excellent results so far, and I’m on day 4 of treatment.
How long are you going to do it for ?? What doses are you using ??

A201

The GT should grow about a half an inch monthly. As he approaches adulthood his growth rate will likely slow.
The biggest male GT I've kept grew to nearly ten inches. I kept him several years & was one of my all time favorites.

Vix1987

A201 said:
The GT should grow about a half an inch monthly. As he approaches adulthood his growth rate will likely slow.
The biggest male GT I've kept grew to nearly ten inches. I kept him several years & was one of my all time favorites.
Is that him there ? He’s a beauty ... look at his long flame... I’m hoping my guy gets a decent size I’ve tried to pick fish mainly between 4-6inches .... he’s the only wildcard in there

A201

That's him. I kept him in a community tank with a few other rough customers.
If things keep progressing, it looks like your little guy has similar potential.

Vix1987

Fingers crossed , have you ever used the medication the other member has mentioned? I’ve read that GTs can be sensitive to picking up parasites .... what’s your secret ? And I’ve seen few posts about them being bit fussy

I’ve got some T-bars to grow out and put in there to finish it off hopefully , already showing nice colouring.. if not the logical thing is buy a bigger tank ha!

A201

I rarely medicate fish. Good nutrition, a weekly 50% WC seem to be enough to keep them healthy. Providing a well constructed hardscape helps as well.
Never had a GT with intestinal parasites.
A lot of information regarding Green Terrors is available on the Monster Fish Keeper forum. I'm also a MFK member. It's another very helpful site.

Vix1987

A201 said:
I rarely medicate fish. Good nutrition, a weekly 50% WC seem to be enough to keep them healthy. Providing a well constructed hardscape helps as well.
Never had a GT with intestinal parasites.
A lot of information regarding Green Terrors is available on the Monster Fish Keeper forum. I'm also a MFK member. It's another very helpful site.
Thanks I’ll have to join the ones I’m not a member of. If there’s natural ways to help things I’d rather do that than medicate. The only thing I do do is remove everything in sections when cleaning so I can get into the substrate below the rocks ... is that what everyone else does ?

A201

If you have at least three inches of gravel substrate & don't overfeed, there really isn't any reason to gravel vac. Aquarium substrate is usually loaded with beneficial bacteria, unless something has been done to upset he eco balance.
The substrate BB quickly processes organic waste.
Some of the rocks in my tank weigh over 50 lbs. I'm not moving them unless I have to. Lol.

Vix1987

A201 said:
If you have at least three inches of gravel substrate & don't overfeed, there really isn't any reason to gravel vac. Aquarium substrate is usually loaded with beneficial bacteria, unless something has been done to upset he eco balance.
The substrate BB quickly processes organic waste.
Some of the rocks in my tank weigh over 50 lbs. I'm not moving them unless I have to. Lol.
Ha ha it is a bit of a nuisance but there’s not actually many guides online about that I’d say mines about 1.5 -2 inches ... or 0 in the spots convicts dig out so that was going to be my next post if gravel vacing once a month is too little . In my other smaller tank I have one section with planted floor so I was thinking could that contribute to dirty water

HolyKamikaziBetta

Vix1987 said:
How long are you going to do it for ?? What doses are you using ??
I figure imma do it for 5-7 days...
I’m not sure what the exact dose is... I just use half a packet and I have... like 10 fish that eat it... so I’m using 1 packet a day.
The first day I saw no results. Day 2 my gourami started pooping worms... day 3 all my fish started pooping worms except my 2 smallest angels... and I fed them today around 12pm and will do so again when I get home from work, I’ll check on them to see if there’s any changes. If my small ones have started pooping worms I’ll do 1 more dose tomorrow, let the medication chill in the water for a day and redose for 2-3 days again in 2 weeks to be sure.

HolyKamikaziBetta

Ok so so, update!
I was saying my 2 smallest hadn’t pooped worms or anything yet... came home... they’re pooping the worms.
My 2 smallest angels actually had the worms hanging out with very swollen anal vents, which is how I know it was Camallanus.
my small gold angel is no longer swollen, and is passing worms in quite a large amount.
my small zebra is still a bit swollen, but is pooping the worms in a smaller amount. I think day 5 will be my last day medicating, and I’ll redose in 2 weeks for a couple of days.
Btw, the reason I chose panacure c is because I found a blog about using it to combat internal parasites in fish.
I’ll see if I can’t find it

HolyKamikaziBetta

Here ya go
It specifically states using panacure c.

HolyKamikaziBetta

Here ya go
It specifically states using panacure c

Vix1987

HolyKamikaziBetta said:

Here ya go
It specifically states using panacure c.
Thankyou I’ll give that a read definitely

Vix1987

Guys I urgently need your advice , my GT has gotten worse and I really don’t know why - he can’t actually keep upright now

I’ve moved him to small tank to be able to medicate him and keep the lights off

A201

Once a fish loses its ability to maintain stability that's pretty much the end of the trail. IMO, no med is going to bring forth a recovery.
Sorry things are going badly. A big WC & trip to the LFS usually helps.

Vix1987

A201 said:
Once a fish loses its ability to maintain stability that's pretty much the end of the trail. IMO, no med is going to bring forth a recovery.
Sorry things are going badly. A big WC & trip to the LFS usually helps.
I’ve been checking the water all the time too in the main tank I’m just baffled .... what is LFS??

A201

LFS is fish forum language for Local Fish Store. Hope things get better soon.

Vix1987

Ohh I thought that was plan B , I’ve at least done another water change and cupped him into a breeder cup near the surface and covered tank with a towel to keep it black . Didn’t know what was kinder . Thanks for the reply though

Vix1987

He did snuff it guys , is there any way to physically see what I was dealing with if I cut him open or do I need a microscope most likely ?

A201

I wouldn't dig too deep. Maybe just get the tank ready for the next fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom