Green Terror Tank Mates 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Warrion004, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Warrion004

Warrion004New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi so just got a new 55 gallon aquarium and I decided I want a green terror for it and I was wondering if I can put anything in with it

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,572
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    There are a lot of possible tankmates for a male Rivulatus, Green Terror. Silver Dollars, Firemouths, Synodontis catfish,
    even some of the fancy Plecos.
    The only problem is a 55 gal. Is going to be a little cramped.
    I've grown out several GT's. The males top out at about nine inches and are broad thick cichlids w/ a big mouth. Lol.
    A 55 gal. Will do as a growout tank, but a 90 gal. Is the minimum size for a Green Terror community.

3. OP
    OP
    Warrion004

Ratings:
    +9
    Will just one green terror be ok in a 55 with no tank mates

4. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,572
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Start with a baby GT and maybe add a small school of a tough tetra, such as the Buenos Aires Tetra. A Bristlenose Pleco wouldn't be out of the question either.
    As the GT grows, you'll recognize the need for a bigger tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Warrion004

Ratings:
    +9
    Ok I don’t really have space for a aquarium larger than 55 gallons so maybe convict cichlids or somthing instead of a GT

How many convict cichlids could go in a 55 gallon?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
  6. !poogs!

!poogs!Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +167
    Convicts are beautiful. You could easily put 10 convicts in a 55 gallon with good filtration. They are prolific breeders and easily sexed. Problem is they are the devil’s spawn, especially if you have a breeding pair. And if you have a male and a female they will breed. When I kept convicts, I kept them exclusively in a tank of other convicts. You can break up the monotony of just black and grey, with a few pink convicts.

I keep firemouths. I keep 8 in a 90 gallon with 10 tiger barbs, 6 gold barbs, and 2 bristlenose plecos. You could scale the amount of fish down for a 55 gallon, keeping in mind barbs need to school to leave other fish alone.

You could look at:

If you are looking for community capable cichlids consider kribensis, keyhole, sevrums (lots of colour varieties) and all very peaceful or moderately as far as cichlids go. I keep 6 males in a community 120 gallon, and they don’t chase after any other fish.

Jack Dempsey, stay away from the electric blues. They can be relatively peaceful, little smaller than a terror and don’t mind company.

7. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,748
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you haven’t bought the 55g I get the 90. It’s the same in length, 4 feet long but it’s just a little deeper 18in vs 12in which will allow you to get the GT.

But if your sticking with the 55g I agree that some convicts and firemouth might be good as they are smaller cichlids. Or if you want peaceful you could do EBA with a school of Tetras.

8. OP
    OP
    Warrion004

Ratings:
    +9
    So @!poogs! What your saying is i Could keep a jack dempsy in a 55?

9. !poogs!

!poogs!Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +167
    Easily. I used a 55 gallon tank as a breeding tank for a pair of 6 inch Jack Dempsey

10. Nick72

Nick72Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +311
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'd consider Electric Blue Acara. Very similar to a Green Terror, just smaller and more peaceful.

Become a Fishlore Member