55 Gallon Tank Green Terror Tank Mates

Warrion004

HI so just got a new 55 gallon aquarium and I decided I want a green terror for it and I was wondering if I can put anything in with it

A201

Fishlore VIP
There are a lot of possible tank mates for a male Rivulatus, Green Terror. Silver Dollars, Firemouths, Synodontis catfish,
even some of the fancy Plecos.
The only problem is a 55 gal. Is going to be a little cramped.
I've grown out several GT's. The males top out at about nine inches and are broad thick cichlids w/ a big mouth. Lol.
A 55 gal. Will do as a growout tank, but a 90 gal. Is the minimum size for a Green Terror community.

OP
Warrion004

Warrion004

Will just one green terror be ok in a 55 with no tank mates

OP
Warrion004

Warrion004

Ok I don’t really have space for a aquarium larger than 55 gallons so maybe convict cichlids or something instead of a GT

How many convict cichlids could go in a 55 gallon?

!poogs!

Well Known
Warrion004 said:
Ok I don’t really have space for a aquarium larger than 55 gallons so maybe convict cichlids or something instead of a GT

How many convict cichlids could go in a 55 gallon?
Convicts are beautiful. You could easily put 10 convicts in a 55 gallon with good filtration. They are prolific breeders and easily sexed. Problem is they are the devil’s spawn, especially if you have a breeding pair. And if you have a male and a female they will breed. When I kept convicts, I kept them exclusively in a tank of other convicts. You can break up the monotony of just black and grey, with a few pink convicts.

I keep firemouths. I keep 8 in a 90 gallon with 10 tiger barbs, 6 gold barbs, and 2 bristlenose plecos. You could scale the amount of fish down for a 55 gallon, keeping in mind barbs need to school to leave other fish alone.

You could look at:

If you are looking for community capable cichlids consider kribensis, keyhole, sevrums (lots of colour varieties) and all very peaceful or moderately as far as cichlids go. I keep 6 males in a community 120 gallon, and they don’t chase after any other fish.

Jack Dempsey, stay away from the electric blues. They can be relatively peaceful, little smaller than a terror and don’t mind company.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
If you haven’t bought the 55 gallon I get the 90. It’s the same in length, 4 feet long but it’s just a little deeper 18in vs 12in which will allow you to get the GT.

But if your sticking with the 55 gallon I agree that some convicts and firemouth might be good as they are smaller cichlids. Or if you want peaceful you could do EBA with a school of Tetras.

OP
Warrion004

Warrion004

!poogs! said:
Convicts are beautiful. You could easily put 10 convicts in a 55 gallon with good filtration. They are prolific breeders and easily sexed. Problem is they are the devil’s spawn, especially if you have a breeding pair. And if you have a male and a female they will breed. When I kept convicts, I kept them exclusively in a tank of other convicts. You can break up the monotony of just black and grey, with a few pink convicts.

I keep firemouths. I keep 8 in a 90 gallon with 10 tiger barbs, 6 gold barbs, and 2 bristlenose plecos. You could scale the amount of fish down for a 55 gallon, keeping in mind barbs need to school to leave other fish alone.

You could look at:

If you are looking for community capable cichlids consider kribensis, keyhole, sevrums (lots of colour varieties) and all very peaceful or moderately as far as cichlids go. I keep 6 males in a community 120 gallon, and they don’t chase after any other fish.

Jack Dempsey, stay away from the electric blues. They can be relatively peaceful, little smaller than a terror and don’t mind company.
So !poogs! What your saying is I Could keep a jack dempsy in a 55?

!poogs!

Well Known
Warrion004 said:
So !poogs! What your saying is I Could keep a jack dempsy in a 55?
Easily. I used a 55 gallon tank as a breeding tank for a pair of 6 inch Jack Dempsey

Nick72

Well Known
I'd consider Electric Blue Acara. Very similar to a Green Terror, just smaller and more peaceful.

New Threads