Green Terror...living up to his name, any suggestions?

americanninja

Here is what I have in my tank:

- Blood parrot ~5inch (started with the new tank after about 3 weeks)
- 1 molly 2in (started with the tank from day 1)
- 1 patty 2in (started with the tank from day 1)

Note: Everyone is always surprised when I say I have the molly/patty in with the blood parrot, but I guess since they were already in the tank before the BP joined, he just let them chill. They never fight or bother each other.

2 months later:

Added a Kenyi cichlid 2in (didn't know it was a kenyi, store staff told me it was a different variation of a convict cichlid, I knew I should have trusted my instincts). Learned the hard way about these aggressive fish, she took two bites out of the 5inch blood parrot's fin and my BP started developing black stress marks on fins and skin. Returned that Kenyi and the BP fully healed in about 3 days. yeah!

After that experience, I wanted to try to get some fish to balance things out and give some tank mates for the blood parrot to interact with and not be eaten. So I added a 2in Green Terror and 1in lace catfish. For the first 2 days everyone looked completely fine, nobody even interacted with each other when I added them to the tank.

Well yesterday I woke up to see the patty hovering on the ground with some scales missing. I assumed it could have been the green terror (sneaky little **** because during the day when we are watching he shows no aggression whatsoever). I watched while the patty was suffering on the ground and then saw the green terror grab him from above on his dorsal and shacked him (going for the kill). I immediately took the Patty out and put into another 5 gallon tank I had. Poor guy died later that afternoon.

I never intended to keep the molly/patty long term, was planning to rehome them (especially since the molly gave birth to 13 fry which are all living in the 5 gallon tank right now and doing super). But since they were doing just fine with the big blood parrot, I thought they could be fine with equally sized fish. Even that aggressive Kenyi didn't mess with them, but instead targeted the blood parrot 3x his size.

So yesterday I thought to maybe 2 more fish to balance out some of the aggression. I picked up another blood parrot (3inch) to be friends with the existing blood parrot and a 3inch Jewel Cichlid (as she was in a large tank with a lot of tank mates and was the loner in the tank and the staff said she never showed any aggression to any of the other fish). Put them in the tank yesterday and immediately the big blood parrot was **** at the incoming blood parrot, she had never shown aggression until yesterday to any of the fish. Looks like the entire purpose backfired. Anyway, I observed them all day yesterday, and noticed that the green terror 2in tried to bit the fin of the 3in Jewel Cichlid. I watched and the GT did it twice. So I said enough with this and I netted it and put it into a floating fish fry box to isolate it. I don't want to lose another fish to this guy.

I've read mixed things on these guys, but it does appear that I did get one of the terror ones. It's day two, the big blood parrot has stopped harassing the little BP and they seem to be getting along now, I guess they figured out their rank and file position. But what should I do with this green terror. Do you think a time out in the fish fry box will reset him or should I find a LFS to take him?

Thanks!

fallfever

Predicting cichlid behavior can be a fool's errand...coming from said fool. Green terrors are territorial fish and generally get even moreso as they age. They are not usually fond of other cichlids. You didn't mention the tank size, but some folks make them the only fish in a 75 or so with dithers, and for good reason. I also keep blood parrots, and while far milder than terrors (usually), they will test anything new to a tank they have been established in. I do like the idea of a pair and they will eventually take up for each other, which is cool to watch. With territorial fish, it's really tough to add tankmates later. You can try rearranging the tank or giving the terror a timeout. Otherwise, another tank may be a good idea. My terror is rather mellow along with a JD, but an aggressive one can claim a tank for himself and choose his own tank mates.

Upvote 0

americanninja

Wow a 75 gallon tank to himself, that's a lucky fish, or perhaps for all the others they are lucky as they will stay alive. I hear ya on the fools errand. Okay, well, since he has already proven to be a terror, I don't think its gonna change and right now, there is a bit of harmony in my tank and as long as the two blood parrots become buddies and become playful, that's enough for me. It was the blood parrot that got me back in the hobby anyway, as they just have the coolest personalities, but I have never seen in the fish hobby. I just miss a bit of the tropical colors as I used to have salt water aquariums when I was younger. So I was just trying to figure out a way to add a bit more color to the tank, but it seems color in freshwater = aggressive and terror. :)

I'm gonna find a new home for the green terror. Since you have blood parrots, do you have any recommendations for friendly colorful tank mates? The adult jewel cichlids look beautiful, so since they seem to be hitting it off well, I think I'm good with these 3 being the primary fish in the tank for a while. I planned to only get the blood parrot initially, but since I had the molly and platty in there which stuck together, the blood parrot looked a bit bored and lonely. So I wanted to get him a tank mate.

Upvote 0

St3v3

Wow a 75 gallon tank to himself, that's a lucky fish, or perhaps for all the others they are lucky as they will stay alive. I hear ya on the fools errand. Okay, well, since he has already proven to be a terror, I don't think its gonna change and right now, there is a bit of harmony in my tank and as long as the two blood parrots become buddies and become playful, that's enough for me. It was the blood parrot that got me back in the hobby anyway, as they just have the coolest personalities, but I have never seen in the fish hobby. I just miss a bit of the tropical colors as I used to have salt water aquariums when I was younger. So I was just trying to figure out a way to add a bit more color to the tank, but it seems color in freshwater = aggressive and terror. :)

I'm gonna find a new home for the green terror. Since you have blood parrots, do you have any recommendations for friendly colorful tank mates? The adult jewel cichlids look beautiful, so since they seem to be hitting it off well, I think I'm good with these 3 being the primary fish in the tank for a while. I planned to only get the blood parrot initially, but since I had the molly and platty in there which stuck together, the blood parrot looked a bit bored and lonely. So I wanted to get him a tank mate.
Indeed I do I highly recommend the electric blue acara as a good peaceful cichlid tankmate.Yet if you want something thats non cichlid you could give silver dollars a chance.

Upvote 0

americanninja

Thanks! The Blue Acara looks cool. I also found that the gold severum are also good tank mates. They look pretty cool when they are adults. I might look into those two when I upgrade my tank again to add another 20 gallons or so. Thanks so much!
btw, people recommend the silver dollars a lot. I'm just curious why. Perhaps it's just my taste, but they don't look like attractive fish to me. Do they have a cool personality or behavior that makes them interesting?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
americanninja
  • Question
  • americanninja
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
devilson
  • Question