Green Sunfish's Growth

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ktorg, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ktorgValued MemberMember

I have a green sunfish that I got as a fry almost two years ago. Now it is grown and has been thriving in my yellow-bellied slider tank along with some bullhead catfish and a pair of bristlenoses. Recently however, I noticed a large reddish growth on the right side of its abdomen next to its pelvic fins. It is acting and eating normally but I have no idea what the growth is or what it can potentially do to my fish. If anyone knows what could be and how to treat it I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

, ac206f5559031f524fbd086ebeede94c.jpg
    1c2ab36e842ed032356aa378d71c970e.jpga87e658e0b28d4b10ff621b454b05b90.jpgac206f5559031f524fbd086ebeede94c.jpg

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Impressive fish, hope someone can help with your question today

3. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Could the white "thing" be an anchorworm hanging down?

4. ktorgValued MemberMember

Nope. I just double checked. There is nothing on the outside. The white thing is just the tip of one of its pelvic fins

5. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ahhhh okay. I suspected an infection caused by the wound inflicted.

6. ktorgValued MemberMember

Ok. I thought it might be an infection but there is no outside sign of an injury. No cuts, scrapes, missing scales, etc.

7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Probably more likely a tumour then or abces then.

8. ktorgValued MemberMember

What causes an abces? Is there any way to treat one?

9. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

An abces is an internal infection without an opening towards "the outside". Quite difficult to treat cause of that. Sometimes they burst. But could be a tumour as wel !!!

Let's wait for opinions of other members.

10. ktorgValued MemberMember

Ok sounds good. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice