Green sunfish tank care

seamonkeything

I know that Leopomis Cyanellus is NOT a chiclid, i am planning to house it in my 55 gallon cichlid tank once it grows to a suitable size. There is no sunfish thread, so i am posting it here. Anyways, right now it is only 1 1/2 inches long and is currently housed in a 3 gallon planted tank. Green sunfish i heard attain length of 5-7 inches in aquarium, and up to 12 inches in the wild. My sister actually caught this one at Lake Pleasant when it was only 3/4 inches long, and since then it has grown lots of personality. I give it a mixed diet of frozen brine shrimp, omega one fish flakes, live scuds, and floating chiclid pellets. From my experience so far it has proven a very easy fish to care for, but i wonder if that will change when it grows larger.

AngelfishDude722

I had them in a pond they were cool but can be a little sensitive.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

I heard that they can live in temperatures up to 76 degrees F, and I have seen people keeping them with African/south american chiclids.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I've always wanted to keep sunfish. Everytime I catch them on fishing outings with my son, I can't help but notice how pretty they are.

Upvote 0

AngelfishDude722

I've always wanted to keep sunfish. Everytime I catch them on fishing outings with my son, I can't help but notice how pretty they are.
Something that I noticed when keeping them is they are way better in tanks. Because when I had them in ponds they did not look so cool due to only seeing their top which is made to blend in.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I heard that they can live in temperatures up to 76 degrees F, and I have seen people keeping them with African/south american chiclids.
Bet they can get higher tenps than that. We have all kinds of them and other sunfish around here and i know the water temp gets over 80 in the summer

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

I live in AZ, so i bet they are even more tolerant of high temps than your population.

Upvote 0

AngelfishDude722

I live in AZ, so i bet they are even more tolerant of high temps than your population.
Yeah Arizona is chill.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

Not where I live! The air gets 115 degrees often in the summer, with water temps over 80 degrees.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

These are definitely not my sunfish (mine is only a baby) but I just wanted to show you how cool they are.

Upvote 0

AngelfishDude722

These are definitely not my sunfish (mine is only a baby) but I just wanted to show you how cool they are.
Well they are related to bass.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

Bass are in the sunfish family, but green sunfish are much more manageable for smaller aquariums than other sunfish like bluegills.

Upvote 0

AngelfishDude722

Yeah and nice pfp

Upvote 0

BigBeardDaHuZi

We had one years ago. It had a ton of personality. I really liked that fish

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies