Green sunfish tank care

seamonkeything

Member
I know that Leopomis Cyanellus is NOT a chiclid, i am planning to house it in my 55 gallon cichlid tank once it grows to a suitable size. There is no sunfish thread, so i am posting it here. Anyways, right now it is only 1 1/2 inches long and is currently housed in a 3 gallon planted tank. Green sunfish i heard attain length of 5-7 inches in aquarium, and up to 12 inches in the wild. My sister actually caught this one at Lake Pleasant when it was only 3/4 inches long, and since then it has grown lots of personality. I give it a mixed diet of frozen brine shrimp, omega one fish flakes, live scuds, and floating chiclid pellets. From my experience so far it has proven a very easy fish to care for, but i wonder if that will change when it grows larger.
 

AngelfishDude722

Member
I had them in a pond they were cool but can be a little sensitive.
 
  • Thread Starter

seamonkeything

Member
I heard that they can live in temperatures up to 76 degrees F, and I have seen people keeping them with African/south american chiclids.
 

mimo91088

Member
I've always wanted to keep sunfish. Everytime I catch them on fishing outings with my son, I can't help but notice how pretty they are.
 

AngelfishDude722

Member
mimo91088 said:
I've always wanted to keep sunfish. Everytime I catch them on fishing outings with my son, I can't help but notice how pretty they are.
Something that I noticed when keeping them is they are way better in tanks. Because when I had them in ponds they did not look so cool due to only seeing their top which is made to blend in.
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
seamonkeything said:
I heard that they can live in temperatures up to 76 degrees F, and I have seen people keeping them with African/south american chiclids.
Bet they can get higher tenps than that. We have all kinds of them and other sunfish around here and i know the water temp gets over 80 in the summer
 
  • Thread Starter

seamonkeything

Member
I live in AZ, so i bet they are even more tolerant of high temps than your population.
 

AngelfishDude722

Member
seamonkeything said:
I live in AZ, so i bet they are even more tolerant of high temps than your population.
Yeah Arizona is chill.
 
  • Thread Starter

seamonkeything

Member
Not where I live! The air gets 115 degrees often in the summer, with water temps over 80 degrees.
 
  • Thread Starter

seamonkeything

Member
These are definitely not my sunfish (mine is only a baby) but I just wanted to show you how cool they are.
 

AngelfishDude722

Member
seamonkeything said:
These are definitely not my sunfish (mine is only a baby) but I just wanted to show you how cool they are.
Well they are related to bass.
 
  • Thread Starter

seamonkeything

Member
Bass are in the sunfish family, but green sunfish are much more manageable for smaller aquariums than other sunfish like bluegills.
 

AngelfishDude722

Member
Yeah and nice pfp
 

BigBeardDaHuZi

Member
We had one years ago. It had a ton of personality. I really liked that fish
 
Top Bottom