Green Sunfish Losing Body Fat

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any idea what's wrong with him? He eats like a pig and is active. They were dewormed when they were small, not this one is about 7 inches long. Its the one in the back.

Attachments

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks really skinny.

Any other signs? White stringy poop?

I wouldn’t dose any meds until you are positive of parasites.

Try feeding a little more.

If he wasn’t dewormed, it could be parasites, but air wouldn’t jump to conclusions.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are you feeding and how are the water paramters? What temp are you keeping them at?

Mixing Africans with non Africans isn’t recommended, but I bet you’ve heard this before

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank parameters are 0/0/20. Just did a water change. Filter is a forza fz13. Tank is a 75g. They were in a 120g, but the brace cracked and needs to be repaired.

There's only 1 bumblebee and 4 greens. I sold the other cichlids and there's just the one bumblebee left. I'd like to keep this one.

They get nls cichlid pellets and frozen bloodworms , mysis and brine shrimp. They are kept at room temp. 70*. This one is the only one that's skinny...no stringy poop.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats quite odd indeed. Green sunfish like their protien and it sounds like they’re getting enough. Not great news for the mbuna though as mbuna are primarily herbivors, plus they should be kept closer to 75F.

Wouldn’t be a terrible idea to worm the entire tank again. I can’t think of any other reason besides parasites or maybe vitamin deficiency which shouldn’t be the problem as they have a decent diet.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bumblebees I've heard can have more protein due to their natural diet. I've never had a problem feeding protein to them. Labs on the other hand...I wouldn't give them anything except veggie foods.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom