green star polyps

pokadotpleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey guys i am new to reefing and need some advice. ive been keeping a saltwater tank with fish and live for just over 100 days and havent lost a fish yet. i want to expand and move on to corals. my light is bright enough for most soft corals so i bought a green star polyp frag to test out. however the frag never opened when put in my tank :'( i was wondering what i could of did wrong. i dose trace elements, calcium, strontium, etc and all my parameters are perfect. also my water is crystal clear. PLEASE HELP!!!
thanks!

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are your alk, calc and salinity levels? How long have they been in your tank?

Green star polyps are pretty hardy and fast growing in my experience. I have some in my tank at the very bottom (running T5's). It could be they just need some more time to get used to your setup.

pokadotpleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your alk, calc and salinity levels? How long have they been in your tank?

Green star polyps are pretty hardy and fast growing in my experience. I have some in my tank at the very bottom (running T5's). It could be they just need some more time to get used to your setup.
my salinity was high. i think that was the issue. i corrected the salt levels and maybe now the little guy will open, if he isnt already dead. and he has been in for a couple of days.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well it is suggested to wait at least 6 months before adding coral as the water parameters still may vary enough to cause problems with hardy coral. also it takes a while for coral to acclimate to a new tank...so there is a chance your gsp will still make it.. be ware they spread like crazy

rocky12

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
put the coral up higher in the water colum. Calcium 415 to 440, The most important test is Magnesium 1350-1400 will make this sucker grow. Try feeding coral frenzy, alot of water movement also. What do you have for lighting? Try UV lighting, 1 actinic white, 1 super actinic, and 2 454s. If it looks like it's dying propagate the living sections. I'm guessing the rubber mat looks white?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess would be that your tank is going through the beginning stages and should be carefully monitored to about 6 month's and on. My concern is that the water used< what are you using to mix the synthetic salt with? How many times do you do water changes and at what percentage do you change out? What type lighting are you using? Do you have a skimmer? What else can you tell us as to what your equipment is in detail and how you do water changes would help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom