Green Star Polyps haven't opened in a long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had my green star polyps in my established 30 gallon for nearly 2 years. I have broken them off onto 4 rocks that I've had all over the tank and they've always thrived and grown soooo fast. Then all of a sudden they all stopped opening and it's been nearly a month now. All of my parameters are fine and as they were when the polyps were happy, all of my other coral and fish are great too. They're all in different flows, heights, and lighting in the tank where they always did well, and none of them have moved. They range in size from about a man's fist to a tiny colony about the size of a half dollar. I blew them off with a turkey baster in case something was on them, but again, it's been nearly a month. The best I've seen them is some of them come out and are short and brown =( A COUPLE have come out in the month that have been long and green, but just a couple. Any ideas? Is there hope or are they dying?

2 Ecoxotic LED Panorama Pro blue/white, 2 Ecoxotic Blue LED Stunners, Coral Pro Red Sea salt, salinity .025, 0 for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphates, pH 8.2, KH 8, Calcium 400something.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
GSPs are fairly indestructable. Part of mine are retracted atm, but that's due to the anemone is brushing on them.

Did you add anything, or have you changed anything in the tank?
Light settings? Can alter their behaviour
Dosing? Some things can have unintended adverse affects.
Food?
Corals? Chemical warfare?
Flow rates?
Temperature?
Do you know your magnesium level? Could be a deficiency there

OP
DearPrudence

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay so I did a water change and moved a couple things around and noticed one GSP's mat is covered in brown that can be scratched off. The other 2 rocks look fine and are in different areas/flow/lighting of the tank and none of them are opening either, but any idea how I can at least scrub off the one rock? It may help, I guess.

Seun

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How much of a water change did you do and did you move the gsp frag closer to your lighting? Brown pioneer algae bloom is what that sounds like. Also wondering if you kicked your tank into a cycle with the water change.

OP
DearPrudence

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, no, I only do a 20%ish. Again, I've had it for 2 years and have had the same practices and mostly same parameters for a year. Absolutely nothing (that I can think of) changed. This is what one rock looks like. You can see it's sliiiightly brown. I moved him up way up high near the lights this past week to see if it would help, and you can see little short brown polyps came out, as opposed to its just a couple here and there of the past month. The other 2 rocks with GSP don't have any brown on them and are mid level in the tank on the left and right side, medium flow, with only a couple short brown polyps coming out on those.

1959145_589183785278_220697688_o.jpg

OP
DearPrudence

DearPrudence

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well it's been like 2 months now and they still look like the picture above. The brown is gone on the mat, but the tips are still short and clear/brown when they come out. I haven't seen long green in ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 18.5%

Top Bottom