Green Spotted puffers?

captain_bilbo

Reaction score
Everytime I go to Wally World(Wal Mart for the less informed) I take about 10 minutes to go look at the fish selection and a couple days ago when I bought my first betta they had a tank full of these interesting little freshwater green puffer fish. They're very weird and cool and I'm thinking about getting some for my 10 gallon once it cycles, so I was wondering if anyone had any info on these particular fish?

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They need to be in full saltwater as adults, they get 6 inches. Please read this article.
Brianna

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, if you really are interested in puffers, a better solution would be a Dwarf Puffer. They are totally Freshwater and get to 1". Don't let they're size fool you, check out this site, i'm thinking of getting some... I feel a MTS coming on!

OP
C

captain_bilbo

Reaction score
Groovy, but where can I find dwarf puffers? I think I would have to go AALLL TTHEE WAYY TTOOO CORBIN... actually it's only about 20 mins away from where I live, but would my lfs have them? or should I makes myselfs a callszzz?

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi,
I see them at my local PetSmart usually. You could ask your LFS to special order them for you.

Brianna

Luniyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Pay special attention to the part of these sites that say... "Puffers are NOT community fish". They are only suitable for a species tank with not much else other then their own kind (though dwarf puffers can work with oto's as they tend to stay out of their sight line). They are very aggressive and will take on fish much larger then themselves and win. One positive is if you have live plants in one of your tanks and get an infestation of snails, then a green puffer would be the right fish for you. You can toss them in and he will scarf them up. In fact he needs their shells to grind his teeth down. They are really cool fish though and are definitely on my future tank lists

whetto

Reaction score
whats up captain. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with ONE green spotted puffer(GSP) in it that I have had for about 4 months or so now. when I first bought him, I didnt realise how aggressive he actually would be, and I put him in my 20 gallon community tank. within 2 minutes, he had eaten all 6 of my ghost shrimp and was chasing my tiger barbs around non stop. I moved him over to my ten gallon, which only had 3 ottos at the time, and he has been doing great ever since. I feed him a steady diet of krill, freeze dried brine shrimp, and live ghost shrimp, and he loves it! he is about 2 inches or so now, and when he gets to about 3 or 4 I'm gonna start changing the water over to salt water. They are usually listed as a brackish water fish, which means they like a mixture of salt and freshwater. they can live in straight freshwater, but they won't be as happy or healthy in the long run. All in all, if you do decide to get one, make sure you have the time for it, not necessarily because they demand it, but because they are too awesome not to spend time watching! by the way, if you get one from wal mart, make sure he looks healthy and not undersized or anything, if their skin has black splotches or is turning black, avoid it, because it is getting sick. I got lucky with mine and got him the same day they got the shipment into wal mart, as the rest of his buddies died within the week (wal mart SUCKS at caring for fish). let me know if you have any more questions about GSP's or dwarf puffers! (sorry for the long post)

New Threads