Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Green Spotted Puffers Came Home Yesterday! :)

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by AZL, Apr 25, 2019.

1. AZLValued MemberMember

Our two little GSP's came home yesterday. One re-homed and the other from the same batch as him at the LFS. Tricky operation as had to drip acclimate one for an hour as coming from lower salinity then float him in a box while getting the other so they could go in at the same time. So far they're getting on well with each other, very interactive with us (they got upset when we turned the light off for the night) and eating voraciously. I'll be worried for ages as first puffers and first salt tank for me and a long day for them yesterday but they seem happy. There's a lot of debate regarding when to put GSP's in higher salinity but proper puffer people tend to concur full marine as early as possible is ideal. These are from the same batch, probably siblings. The larger, healthier looking one lived in full marine for 4 months before being re-homed with me. The smaller, thinner one had remained in brackish at the LFS. 2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

2. DoughBoy93090Valued MemberMember

Cute little guys! Good luck with them! Hope it all works out!

3. AZLValued MemberMember

Thank you, me too, already really in love with these little monsters :)

4. JamieLuValued MemberMember

They are my favorite fish by far. I know all fish have personality, but these are the best. Good luck!

5. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Gorgeous little fish. Love the color.

6. AZLValued MemberMember

The one from the shop is smaller and was duller in colour than the one re-homed with us after 4 months of good care in saltwater and had a hollow belly. 24 hours later that little guy is just as green and nearly as sleek as the other. I agree, all fish have personalities, few people believe how interactive the freshwater lot are, especially the plecs and corys, but this is another level entirely. The one from the LFS has gone from being a frightened little thing to just as attention seeking as the one used to interaction. I think he really bonded while being drip acclimatised and the other came friendly as the people we had him from really care for their fish. He came to us as he was trying to make friends with their big one who was grumpy about the attention and they thought he'd be happier on his own or with one his size and more inclined to interact with him. We're smitten, hope they continue to stay happy - I'm checking water, etc. obsessively.

7. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Saw one the other day where someone tried the "chase the laser pointer" on the substrate with a GSP and it went after it just like an excited dog or cat would.

8. Thedudeiam94Valued MemberMember

I want one of these cute little puffers so bad! Was looking into some leopard spotted puffers at one of my LFS and almost drowned in the cuteness! Love how they are always smiling! Lol

9. AZLValued MemberMember

Hahahaha straight on that one! With 6 cats of course we have a laser pointer :)

10. AZLValued MemberMember

I think that's a different name for these ones, they are awesome! Early days for me with them but it wasn't hard to set up the tank, the live rock really helps with the pollution they create and they are loving full marine. I used around half and half very mature live rock and dry rock at 1 kg per 10 litre or 1 lb per gallon capacity so 14 kg or 31 lb for 130 litre or 35 gallon tank and let it sit in the water (locally harvested seawater put through reverse osmisis unit) with coral sand substrate for two weeks then added marine bacteria and ammonia source (2 cubes of frozen daphnia). It cycled in less than a week up to 2 ammonia and .5 nitrite, then 10 nitrate before levelling at 0 for ammonia and nitrite and 5 nitrate. I checked by putting an additional cube in twice over the next 2 weeks then puffers as all stayed good with water perimeters. They're at 1.025 SG - I just top up with RO fresh water when it's higher through evaporation and have seawater for changes. Way cheaper and easier than mixing marine salt and seems better for the fish. Certainly not an expert at this point but had a lot of good advice on here as well as from the friend I got tank and gear from and the guy the re-homed puffer came from. They need space, this is a starter tank, they'll move up to 250 to 300 litres or 65 to 80 gallons when bigger. :)

11. Thedudeiam94Valued MemberMember

Thanks for all the helpful information! It is much appreciated! I was seriously considering one of these little guys. Just don’t have the funds for another tank at the moment with a little boy on the way! My girlfriend wants a live reef tank badly so working on making that happen for here I. The next year or two. Been following lost of threads about those also! But she thinks these are the cuties!! Lol I agree with her! Just wish I could get one already! However patients is a virtue! Lol I will keep this thread tagged for future reference! Thanks again!!!

12. AZLValued MemberMember

Happy to pass on info as I learn, brand new to this. My original plan was a brackish tank with green spotted puffers and bumblebee gobies but the one being re-homed was in full marine and it seems they do better that way. This was meant to be a FOWLR tank (fish only with live rock) but I've had red mushroom corals sprout out of the rock and they're thriving. It seems it wants to be a reef so that's cool, I'm going with that and plan to add more coral. I have decent flow from the filter and sprayer and can add mini wave maker and hang on skimmer if needed, so far it's been ok without and I have a standard Aquael retrofit sunny led light in the hood. I can't go for corals that need a very powerful flow as too turbulent for puffers and for the shrooms that decided to be there nor can I go for anemones with long tentacles that might eat the puffers or other fish (I'm also going to put in a couple of gobies) or ones that would poison the puffers if they ate them like zoanthids but I can put in more mushrooms including fuzzy ones that look like anemones, leathers, etc. The soft corals don't need massive light or flow, even if I didn't have the puffers I don't have the cash for that kind of set up, this is a proper DIY rigged up marine tank. You guys could have both is you choose the right coral and realise most other fish won't be able to live with the green spotted puffers. Gobies from the Elacatinus genus are said to be ok with predatory fish as they have a symbiotic relationship, clearing parasites from them. Actually the re-homed puffer and his larger former tank mate were in with a clown fish and didn't threaten it at all, they even allowed the clown to feed before them. That's not typical so I'm sticking with gobies and soft coral but it will be a reef tank with a reasonable diversity of corals, reef/sand dwelling fish, and those lovely puffers. That's more than I hoped for - I was prepared to have a species only tank with no coral. Instead the puffers have a reef to live in and we can also enjoy a little bit of ocean ecosystem in our house and there are a few options at least for diversity. this has cost me a 2 digit number to set up with hand me down tank and filters, natural sea water, good deal on mature live rock - just had to pay full whack for bacteria in a bottle, light, and sand. I built the custom hood to keep the cats out. Some accidental coral was another bonus. I set up a snail breeding tank to keep puffers fed with one of those gallon kid's tank for a few pounds, a sponge filter powered by a small air pump about a tenner for both, and some pond weed and gravel. It's definitely possible on a shoestring. :)

13. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

They're gorgeous!! Congratulations!!!:D

14. AZLValued MemberMember

Aw thank you! We're smitten, I think they've completely thawed my spouse in regard to my aquarium obsession lol. Still doing well although they scared the out of me a couple of times until I learned that puffers sleeping with their tail curled around them like a puppy is a thing!