Green Spotted Puffer

Abbydavis2813

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just got a green spotted puffer fish and was told it was a fresh water fish. I got home and set up the tank and everything and put him in it and he is doing fine, but after a little online research i see that he would do better in a brackish tank. My question is how would i transition him into a salt water tank from the freshwater he is in now and what extra materials would i need?
Thanks
Ps. This is my first puffer so i am a beginner

Last edited by a moderator:

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
they start off in freshwater, but you can make them full salt water to thrive better. I would do the transfer to salt water. slowly, gradually raise the salinity of the water. mix the water in a separate container and add it slowly every 30 mins or so. until the aquarium is at the salinity for the puffer

Abbydavis2813

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
what is the best kind of salt i should use? i want to make sure I'm doing it the right way

also do i need to remove the puffer while I'm adding the salt water?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gena

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, you'll need marine salt. NOT aquarium salt or table salt. Instant Ocean is the most popular brand and the brand I personally use. It can be purchased at most pet stores. I bought mine from the local Petco.

Here is a good article about GSPs:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/an-introduction-to-green-spotted-puffers/

And this is where I learned to mix brackish water:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348

Eventually, your GSP will need highly brackish water, some argue marine salinity is needed. This is not an easy fish to care for.

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
as always Gena saves the day. thanks for the input. listen to Gena she got me on the right path with my puffer fish. she a puffer guru

Abbydavis2813

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks everyone! Gena do i leave my puffer in the tank while adding the salt water or relocate the puffer until im done?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom