Green Spotted Puffer Fish

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by TommyZ, Jul 28, 2015.

1. T

TommyZ New Member Member

I saved my buddy from the abusive hands of WalMart and am cycling a 20 gallon tank for him to have all to himself. I want to know if this is a good set up for him (picture). Is the heater in a good spot? What about the power filter? Will he like the sand? What about the moss balls, are those okay to be in there? It's been cycling for about five hours with some complete water care kit start up maintenance. How long should I wait? He's only one inch but I plan to get more decorations. What else would be good for him? And how should I go about moving him to brackish? Also, does anyone know where to catch freshwater snails in Minnesota? Haha, thank you :D

Attached Files:

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Gena could explain how to turn your tank into brackish. As for heater, does it say fully submersible?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    T

TommyZ New Member Member

Yes it does :) It said that placing it at the bottom of the tank would mean I don't have to turn it off when changing 30-50% of the water, so I did.

4. Dom90

Yea that's smart, wouldn't want the heater blowing up and glass flying all over the place! I have an Aqueon Pro that has an auto shut-off function if the water level gets too low.

5. OP
    OP
    T

TommyZ New Member Member

I'm not sure if mine has that, I know it has a feature that prevents over heating. Do you think its in a good area? I figure being by the power filter would help circulate it.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? It takes a few days at the minimum for a tank to cycle using heavy doses of Seachem Stability, usually closer to a few weeks. I'm not sure how hardy puffers are in terms of being able to go through a fish-in cycle.

7. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

I recommend doing some research about brackish aquariums and puffers online to start. Like hours of research. That's where I started. This is a good place to start:

8. OP
    OP
    T

TommyZ New Member Member

I have been doing a little research on the nitrogen cycle.. From what I've read they wont survive if you cycle the tank with them in it. Thank you for the link, ill research right away :)

9. Dom90

I would suggest picking up a bottle of Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability at Petco/Petsmart or your LFS. The chemicals in Prime will not only dechlorinate your tap water during water changes but it will also detoxify ammonia or nitrite, protecting your fish till the bacteria in your filter can metabolize them. That's where Stability comes into play. It contains bacteria that will speed up the cycling process.

10. OP
    OP
    T

TommyZ New Member Member

Would any commercial stores sell that? Like WalMart? I live in a very small town, so I usually take 50 mile trips every other week just to get live food and good supplies.

11. Dom90

Walmart wouldnt sell it. Do you have any pet stores around you that sell fish supplies?

Go here and enter your zip code and it'll list the nearest store that sells their products.

12. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can also order online - super easy, and delivered to your house.

13. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Petsmart and Petco does if one of those is close

14. OP
    OP
    T

TommyZ New Member Member

The nearest one is 58 miles :/ what would be some good websites?

15. Dom90

Amazon or Bigalspets.com

16. OP
    OP
    T

TommyZ New Member Member

Thanks for the help everyone, my puffer is happy and healthy in his new aquarium :D by the way, are there any reliable sites where I can buy live freshwater snails and ghost shrimp?

17. Dom90

Just go to a nearby LFS and ask if they have any "pest snails", you'll usually get them for free or for a very low cost. I believe that's what Gena does.

18. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

You could put them in a bucket with an air stone and keep a good bit of food in there and you'll have a nice colony of snails before long

19. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Can we get a picture please?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice