Green Spotted Puffer - Fast Cycling advise

1. SDK Initiate Member

I have decided to adopt a young GSP that my friend can no longer keep. He is young and currently in a very small freshwater tank. I need to switch him to brakish water ASAP. I have a 20 gallon tank, filter, heater, marine sea water, gravel, snails, and biological booster. I am aware of the level of salt needed and proper temperature. I know that the level of salt will increase over time.

I am concerned about how quickly I can get him into the tank. I was planning to use 15 gallons of RO water and 5 gallons of marine salt water (measuring the right level of salt for a fish this young). I was also planning to use the biological booster and run the filter without the carbon for one hour. I would then add the GSP to the tank and replace the carbon to the filter after 24 hours. I intend to do 25% weekly water changes.

Does all this sound right? I want to transfer him as soon as possible.

Thanks so much!!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Glad you're taking care of him!

He will need a bigger tank. Can you get a 29 gal now?

Putting him in an uncycled tank is more harmful than living in freshwater for a bit longer (as they can be maintained in FW for some time). Even though you're adding the biobooster, your tank won't instantly cycle.

Is the tank where he's coming from fully cycled? If so, take all of the media from that filter and use it with this tank. If not, you can do that and continue to fishless cycle it or start from scratch. With a puffer, you should fishless cycle the tank before adding him to it. He can wait a few weeks longer in freshwater.

If you can't wait a few weeks to add him (i.e. your friend needs to be rid of him now), I'd get something like Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start Plus to do a fish in cycle. Many claimed bioboosters don't work, but these two are reliable.

Check out this page (see Maintenance in particular):
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tetraodon-nigroviridis/

3. SDK Initiate Member

Thank you for your reply. He has been in a tiny non-filtered tank for about a week. I take out 1/2 of the water every other day and replace it. I also take out some of the dirt at the bottom of the small tank. He seems ok but I am very anxious to get him into more space.

My 20 gallon is full, the salt reading is 1.008.

I out biological booster into the tank.

The temperature is 78.

I am uncertain as to what to do next and how long to wait before I should put him in the tank.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would go ahead and put him in and do a fish in cycle. The alternative (keeping him in a tiny, unfiltered tank) sounds worse for him.

Since you're cycling fish-in with a delicate fish, I'd pick up a bottle of Seachem Stability and Seachem Prime. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle, and keep up with water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites below 0.5 ppm. You can use Prime in between water changes to detoxify ammonia and nitrites.