Green spot algae.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The green spot algae is getting kind of more in my tank. I turned the light intensity down to 75% from 90%. I read and read Nerites like it but mine stay on the glass or driftwood. Do Ramshorn eat it? I have also read phosphate runs it. Is it too much or not enough? Conflicting info on that.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow thanks guys. :(

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don’t know about how well snails will eat the algae, but when I had a green spot algae problem in my tank, I used API’s Algaefix and it worked really well. Just be sure to read the label before putting it in your tank in case you have fish that are sensitive to it

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ugh it drives me crazy and none of my snails go on the plants. 20200216_144539.jpg 20200216_144500.jpg 20200216_144447.jpg

Inner10

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can't get it off plant leaves, nerites will eat it off glass but they can't get it off leaves...nor can you brush it off like brown algae. You basically have to cut the leaf off if you want it gone.

I've never really found a cure, I find in a new tank the first month you get brown algae, then you get green spot, then the black beard comes around....then things smooth out.

If they don't then I start to play with lowering lighting, adjusting CO2 levels, dose with more Excel, reduce fertz...but I've never figured out a silver bullet.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank is not new, Just got SAE's to eat the BBA I had and they are doing great. Now the green spot showed up. I only use 1/2 of the dose of ferts, so I don't know what to do at this point besides light.

Inner10

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you dosing CO2?

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No just low light plants, crypts, vals, swords

Inner10

Well Known Member
Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
No just low light plants, crypts, vals, swords
Can't say I'll be helpful but I can compare to my other planted tanks. How big of tank, how many watts of light, how many hours and any natural light?

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Light is Fluval Aquasky 2.0 not sure of watts
55 gallon tank
Light on from 3-10pm full light with ramp up and down.
Not really any natural light. North facing window in room.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is the most frustrating part of this hobby. Figuring out stuff like this.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got to say I haven’t figured it out. I just deal with it. Green spot algae just grows I can’t spot it. It’s on some f the leaves and on the glass at times. Like said you can remove the leaves. Also if you have a cherry shrimp tank you can remove from main tank and add to shrimp tank. They will eat it. Funny they eat it off added plants but if it’s growing in their tank they ignore it. Go figure?

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I get it and got it but i do notice once in a while the otto will go through the anubia leaves and clean them all. It doesn't happen often and i am certainly not able to command them to do it but once in a while they will decide to visit all the leaves and clean them. I've just started to get BBA and i have no clue why. I don't think i care but it is there so something must be out of whack - i do have an sae - i think he prefers flakes over algae but maybe he eats more then i think when i'm not looking. I need an out of whack test kit that sez - do this when something looks out of whack.
-
Hum. All the fishes just showed up in the corner by my desk. I guess they think it is food time but they are early.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does anyone know if it is phosphate related? Ive read both too much and not enough...o_O The sword and crypts I put in the 5 gallon from the 55 are almost clean now. Amanos and a horned nerite in there.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've read the cyanobacteria and algae might indicate an increase of phoshate but i can't say for sure. I did just start getting a little cyano in odd spots at the same time the bba showed up - so i stuck some phosphate guard (sachem) in my canister filter last night - it is too soon to say anything conclusive. I didn't measure the phosphate because i hate trying to guess the actual value by comparing colours.

StarGirl15 said:
Does anyone know if it is phosphate related? Ive read both too much and not enough...o_O The sword and crypts I put in the 5 gallon from the 55 are almost clean now. Amanos and a horned nerite in there.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 where are you on this one? :p

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
kallililly1973 where are you on this one? :p
Like i said pest snails lives matter. Ramshorns are my plant cleaning champions. Nothing else on earth can clean a single strand of java moss like a ramshorn snail!!

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Like i said pest snails lives matter. Ramshorns are my plant cleaning champions. Nothing else on earth can clean a single strand of java moss like a ramshorn snail!!
That was my original question. Will ramshorns eat it.... :rolleyes: lol maybe I will pick up some tomorrow. How many you think I should get? They are 4 for $1 at my lfs.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
That was my original question. Will ramshorns eat it.... :rolleyes: lol maybe I will pick up some tomorrow. How many you think I should get? They are 4 for $1 at my lfs.
I can't guarantee they will but for a buck i would get a 4 pack of em. They will reproduce so getting more shouldn't be necessary. I have 100's of them throughout all my tanks and all my plants look great. I think they will be beneficial to have in your tanks. I'm sure others will disagree adding a "pest snail" would be helpful but i really think they balance out a tank.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads