Green Spot Algae In Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Manoj Arora, Apr 14, 2017.

1. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

I wanted to ask if gsa is harmful for betta fish as my hygrophilla sp Quadrivalvis needle leaf has started getting those dots...
    Thanks

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    No, Green Spot Algae is not harmful towards fish.

However, I do recommend getting rid of it. To get rid of green spot Algae, limit your lighting hours by half and keep dosing your fertilizers if you're using any. Also, you could dose some Seachem excel for once a week and see if that works

3. OP
    OP
    M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Ok thanks
    I don't use any fertilizer. Just pebbles. If I reduce the lighting hours wouldn't there be any problem with the other plants I have like vallisneria spiralis and hydrocotyle verticillata?

4. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Reducing the lighting hours only decreases the growth of the Algae in the tank, it does not stop it.

Green Spot Algae appears when there is a lack of phosphate in the aquarium. So, As I stated above try using Seachem Excel. If you use the proper dosage per week the Algae should be gone. Also, since Green Spot Algae enjoys light reduce your lighting hours to decrease the growth of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice