Green Spot Algae and purple algae?

Sappy
I seem to have an issue with what I assume is green spot algae in my tank, correct me if I'm wrong. I have read this can be caused by low phosphate levels, but I dose this tank with ferts so I doubt this is the case. I read some sites that recommend adding phosphorous to deal with green spot algae, but I think its just a case of too many nutrients and too much light in my case, can anyone chime in on this?

I am also including a pic of what is some sort of purplish algae that only grows on my rocks, any idea of what kind of algae this is?

StarGirl
The purple may be cyano bacteria and not algae. How long are your lights on for?

Mudminnow
I think you're right in your ID of the green spot algae. The presence of green spot algae can mean your phosphate is low, but not always. I've found green spot algae usually doesn't grow on healthy leaves unless they are part of a slow growing plant. If the plant is growing slow because that's just the type of plant it is (like anubias), I'd place it in a shadier spot. If the plant could grow fast (like hydrocotyle), then give your plant what it needs to grow faster.

Your purple algae is pretty neat. I like it. My guess is that it is some sort of red algae, related to BBA.

Sappy
StarGirl said:
The purple may be cyano bacteria and not algae. How long are your lights on for?
I dont have them on a timer but ID guess like 10-12 hours which I know is high.

Mudminnow said:
I've found green spot algae usually doesn't grow on healthy leaves unless they are part of a slow growing plant. If the plant is growing slow because that's just the type of plant it is (like anubias), I'd place it in a shadier spot. If the plant could grow fast (like hydrocotyle), then give your plant what it needs to grow faster.

Your purple algae is pretty neat. I like it. My guess is that it is some sort of red algae, related to BBA.
The 2 plants in the pic are an anubias and a brazilian pennywort (hydrocoytle) so one is slow and the other is fast. The issue makes sense for the anubias but the pennywort always seems to have issues with the older leaves getting covered in algae then melting, Ive had it for awhile and its struggling. I did have floating water spangles before that made the tank shady, but they died off when I dosed some medicine, so im in the process of growing back floaters right now which would solve the shade problem

As for the purple algae, I agree it kind of looks cool, as long as it stays on the rocks. But I have seen it appear around the edges of the anubias leaves.

StarGirl
Sappy said:
I dont have them on a timer but ID guess like 10-12 hours which I know is high.

The 2 plants in the pic are an anubias and a brazilian pennywort (hydrocoytle) so one is slow and the other is fast. The issue makes sense for the anubias but the pennywort always seems to have issues with the older leaves getting covered in algae then melting, Ive had it for awhile and its struggling. I did have floating water spangles before that made the tank shady, but they died off when I dosed some medicine, so im in the process of growing back floaters right now which would solve the shade problem

As for the purple algae, I agree it kind of looks cool, as long as it stays on the rocks. But I have seen it appear around the edges of the anubias leaves.
Then it is probably BBA. If its on the edges of the leaves.

Latest threads

Top Bottom