Green Rock wool Replacement Question

Kathylee

I ordered some plants, a few came with black baskets, the roots wrapped in a green mesh, I open the mesh up & inspect it thus rendering it useless after, because it's in pieces. I learned my lesson, buying one of these at petco & dumping it right in my tank immediately.. (Snails later). Is this called Rock wool? If it is; I would like to order some replacements, I found some on Amazon. I kept googling "green mesh in plastic aquarium pot" lol the results given to me were about green algae, or mesh bags. Just want to make sure it's the correct stuff before purchasing.

mattgirl

Normally we just remove as much of that as we can before we plant the plants. I guess I am not understanding what you mean by rendering it useless or why tearing it apart is a problem.

Kathylee

mattgirl said:
Normally we just remove as much of that as we can before we plant the plants. I guess I am not understanding what you mean by rendering it useless or why tearing it apart is a problem.
I want to keep the plant in the pot, I tore the rock wool apart & threw it away. I'm just wondering if that is what it's correctly called if it was rock wool or something else.

jpaquatics

Yes it is rock wool. You normally would take the plant out from the rock wool and plant it, though. You could try adding some dirt to a small pot if you just like the look of a pot.

Kathylee

jpaquatics said:
Yes it is rock wool. You normally would take the plant out from the rock wool and plant it, though. You could try adding some dirt to a small pot if you just like the look of a pot.
Yes thank you! Maybe I did not explain myself very well, I like the look of the rock wool & the pot. I have a basket in my tank now, the plant is tall & I have a metal anchor holding it down, it kept floating. So I added some substrate to it & it holds it down I guess, doesn't look flattering though. I changed my substrate to sand for my cories & everything I "plant" floats, I've resorted to using-- Anchors, clips, weights, airline tube suction cups, plant glue, rubber bands. I bought the 5 pack of Fluval plant pots & it comes with a foam insert- makes the plant float upside down & rise to surface. So I was thinking of trying to use the rockwool & baskets/pots.

mattgirl

Kathylee said:
Yes thank you! Maybe I did not explain myself very well, I like the look of the rock wool & the pot. I have a basket in my tank now, the plant is tall & I have a metal anchor holding it down, it kept floating. So I added some substrate to it & it holds it down I guess, doesn't look flattering though. I changed my substrate to sand for my cories & everything I "plant" floats, I've resorted to using-- Anchors, clips, weights, airline tube suction cups, plant glue, rubber bands. I bought the 5 pack of Fluval plant pots & it comes with a foam insert- makes the plant float upside down & rise to surface. So I was thinking of trying to use the rockwool & baskets/pots.
Gotcha, now I understand what you are wanting to do. And yes, it is simply called rockwool. They may have another specific name for it when using it to grow plants in though. Would this work for you? I just googled rockwool for plant roots.

Kathylee

mattgirl said:
Gotcha, now I understand what you are wanting to do. And yes, it is simply called rockwool. They may have another specific name for it when using it to grow plants in though. Would this work for you? I just googled rockwool for plant roots.
The link that you posted is the same Rock wool I think I found on Amazon! Sorry I didn't realize how confusing I made that post lol. I did not want to re-use the one that came with the ordered plant & would like to purchase new ones. Just wanted to verify it was indeed rock wool. Awesome, now I'll just do some product research!
Thank you

BigBeardDaHuZi

Kathylee said:
If everything keeps floating on you, maybe your sand is not deep enough?
My little tank has a type ADA soil (little clay pellets). I kept getting floaters too. It was driving me nuts. I was using a rubber band and a piece of crushed coral to hold them down for a while, hoping they would put out enough roots to stick.
Then I doubled the amount of substrate. I have not had a floating problem since then.
How deep is your sand?

Kathylee

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
If everything keeps floating on you, maybe your sand is not deep enough?
My little tank has a type ADA soil (little clay pellets). I kept getting floaters too. It was driving me nuts. I was using a rubber band and a piece of crushed coral to hold them down for a while, hoping they would put out enough roots to stick.
Then I doubled the amount of substrate. I have not had a floating problem since then.
How deep is your sand?
I can guarantee you that it is not deep enough. So when I first started this tank, I researched & it said that the substrate was supposed to be at least 2" deep. So I added like 20LBs of rocks & pebbles. Then I joined FishLore & a member told me sand would be more appropriate for cories, so I've slowly been taking rocks out & adding sand. I think I have added 2 more 5LB bags since August. I lose a lot when I clean though, gravel Vaccuming. I don't feel like spooning it back in so I just dump it out with the dirty water. So I should probably go buy more sand then.

Flyfisha

Those plastic pots full of rock wool are not meant to be a permanent home . Regardless of what you want to look at they are not suitable for plant health long term. They are a way of selling plants without selling dirt interstate or across international borders.

Only Anubis and java fern can be grown without substrate. Even they are not meant to say in rock wool. Rock wool is a building material that’s used in the walls of houses as insulation. It’s not suitable for corydoras to look for food around. If you have ever put insulation in a wall you would know it’s a man made glass fibre. It’s made from rocks true enough but it’s not a nice thing to touch.
Perhaps a small china or terracotta pot buried below the substrate with a potting mix would suit?
Or you could go for the whole tea set.

Kathylee

Flyfisha said:
Those plastic pots full of rock wool are not meant to be a permanent home . Regardless of what you want to look at they are not suitable for plant health long term. They are a way of selling plants without selling dirt interstate or across international borders.

Only Anubis and java fern can be grown without substrate. Even they are not meant to say in rock wool. Rock wool is a building material that’s used in the walls of houses as insulation. It’s not suitable for corydoras to look for food around. If you have ever put insulation in a wall you would know it’s a man made glass fibre. It’s made from rocks true enough but it’s not a nice thing to touch.
Perhaps a small china or terracotta pot buried below the substrate with a potting mix would suit?
Or you could go for the whole tea set.
Oh okay, well good thing I'm asking then! You see it everywhere it the pet stores & online- so basically it's just a cheap way to keep plants ,for the seller, until sold? I didn't realize it was unhealthy. Either way I threw it. & now I won't purchase replacements then. But it's okay, I've been pretty creative, back to the drawing board. Like Bigbear said above, maybe I just need deeper sand.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom