Green Puffers?

rainman
I was wondering if anyone could inform me about the Green Puffer, since it is not on fishlore, I would like to know more. Thanks

Rbacchiega
Well there are a few freshwater/brackish puffers that are known as "green puffers"...there are the true ones or there are figure eight puffers. Both have similar care so here it goes.

Alot of times you'll see them in the lfs in a freshwater aquarium, and most of the time they will survive for a while, but as I'm sure you already know, they are brackish and should be kept as such.... Both can get anywhere between 4-7 inches and I've had the most success in keeping them as a species only tank. Setup should be as close to the natural environment as possible, with some driftwood and live plants if possible.

Tank size can be as small as a 5 to start out, but I've had the most success in keeping them in a 20-30 gallon tank. Diet should be varied, if you were to just go with feederfish you can damage the liver, as it is an unbalanced diet. I feed mine a combination of frozen and live. Brineshrimp, frozen or fresh...bloodworms, flake, etc can be found in the lfs, but I would also consider feeding crustaceans (you can go and pick up some musels from the grocery store, throw one in shell and all) or cray fish etc. Not only will the puffer get a good boost of protien, but the shell will help keep the puffer's beak trim and sharp as well.

rainman
Thank you

bandito974
I hear if they die and you are slow to remove it, It can posion your other fish

capekate
Here is some online information on the care of your green puffer fish! ;D

~ kate

Sam Livingston
Make sure to give the lil guy snails! The green spotted puffers teeth grow continually like a rabbits, it has to have a hard shell to file them down, preferably snails the size of the puffers eye ball. In the first hour I put my GSP in my tank he ate over 70 snails, talk about a hungry little guy! It was fun to watch as he crushed their shells in his mouth instantly. They love watching their reflection, mine does it for hours each day, just swims up and down and watches himself. They are a must have, most adorable fish I've ever seen!

Angela_96
If you are wanting a freshwater puffer there are more to choose from this little guy needs brackish water to live a long healthy life. For instance a dwarf puffer can live in freshwater, a giant mbu puffer is a freashwater puffer (he gets HUGE!!!)... there are a ton to choose from.

Amorinthe
but consider yourself warner - puffs are insanely cute and totally addictive. you will fall in love so fast and then....that's when they steal your heart!

rainman
thank you everyone thank you

pinkfloydpuffer
If a fish is swimming up and down the glass it means they're bored. I suggest putting more things in their tank.
The green spotted puffers are absolutely adorable! They learn to recognize their owner and will follow your finger across the glass. They're really smart and really cute! I have two of them myself, and because they're so small I'm having great success with keeping them with two mollies as well. In fact, the mollies fight like crazy, and the puffs are both really peaceful. I'm going to move them out into a much larger tank when they grow more, though.

rainman
how ironic

good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
CichlidJynx
Replies
Views