green plants

1. j

jetsmike73 New Member Member

My plants don't look to good anymore I cut them down a bit as they were overtaking the tank a bit just before I went on holiday and they look like this now also there is loads of snails which I didn't have before is there anyway of saving the plants I have a fire extinguisher co2 system set at 2 bubbles a second in a 50 gallon tank if it makes any difference

2. OP
    OP
    j

jetsmike73 New Member Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. R

Rm2011 New Member Member

That looks like Black Beard Algae. It can quickly cover the leaves of the plants and not allow them to receive enough light (been there, done that). I had the best luck getting rid of it by overdosing excel and spot treating with hydrogen peroxide. You should do some research about these methods, as you can quickly mess things up if you dose too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like Staghorn and BBA mixed in to me. Staghorn has a branching habit. Pictures are hard to tell. The 2nd photo is too blurry. These two types of annoying algae is caused by an imbalance. Usually low or unstable CO2. Since you were gone things got out of balance.

If it was my tank personally I would discard the badly infected plants. You can spot treat with Excel or H2O2 in areas that are not too badly infected. Pull out any algae that you can too. May take a little hassling the algae, re-balancing and patience to get back to where you were.