Question Green Pimple Mushroom

Risque

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi

I am at the marine livestock importer/exporters' and I saw this piece of coral which which was labelled as Green Pimple Mushroom. I looked online on my phone and it looks vaguely similar and yet different, is this coral dying or is it just young and not fully grown?

IMG_1655.JPG

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool looking Coral!

Try searching the order Hypocreales to see if you can find it or the family Hypocreaceae

I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like to comment on whether it is healthy or not.

Risque

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I decided to buy it. It was between this or a green favites moonstone. Since it is going to be my first ever coral, I decided to get the mushroom as it was much cheaper.

I googled the common name and it seems to be Actinodiscus sp.

I hope it opens up and propagates to be like the one in the link and is not unhealthy/dying.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mushrooms are fairly undemanding

Adequate lighting, and keep them fed at least twice a week, phyto planktons, reef-roids, cyclop-eeze, rotifers or the like. Any filter food will do.

My tank gets fed daily with reef-roids, but I do have a rather well established reef tank now, with lots of filter feeding corals.

Risque

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read that it needs a little shade and less current, too much light and current will cause it to detach and move? So rather than the rock being lying horizontally flat facing the light, I've tilted it facing the corner of my tank. Would that work?

I also got myself two clowns and an anemone. I suspect it is a sebae? Can you confirm if it is one?
IMG_1659.JPG

Does my coral or anemone require target feeding? Or can I just pour this in every other day or so? "5-in-1 Coral Food: Coral, Clam & Inverterbrate Planktonic Food made with Rotifers".

Thanks for helping out a reefing newbie!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mushrooms aren't high light, but they still benefit from adequately rated lighting.

If you have a look at my tank:
The tank is 2 ft deep (60cm).... in the bottom right, just behind the goni, is some purple mushrooms on the sand. If you look to the very left hand side, about half way up are some orange mushrooms (next to the GSP and under the zoanthids). Both colonies are doing fine given the different lighting

The anemone does look like a sebae, but I've never kept one, so judging off internet photos.

The food looks like it'll be ok for your nem. It will enjoy the occasional treat of a meaty food (mussels, prawn, silverside etc) - maybe once every few weeks. I don't specifically target feed my nem. It catches the odd bit of food, and my clown keeps it fed.

Risque

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Atomsk said:
The anemone looks kinda like a long tentacle anemone.
Thanks, I did more reading/googling and it does indeed seem to be a LTA rather than a sebae due to the tentacles being further spaced out.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be a green bubble tip anemone without the bubble tips. I had one years ago that only occasionally formed the bubble tips. You can feed them quarter inch or smaller sized pieces of shrimp, clams, scallops, silversides. I get about a half pound at a time at the grocery store and chop it up into small pieces and the anemones show an immediate feeding response when it touches a tentacle.
equadricolor.jpg

Risque

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mike said:
Could be a green bubble tip anemone without the bubble tips. I had one years ago that only occasionally formed the bubble tips. You can feed them quarter inch or smaller sized pieces of shrimp, clams, scallops, silversides. I get about a half pound at a time at the grocery store and chop it up into small pieces and the anemones show an immediate feeding response when it touches a tentacle.
View attachment 112589
I initially dismissed the likelihood of a BTA as most pictures I have seen prior to the one you linked had tentacles which were sort of tapered. During mid-day (about 4-6hrs into my light-cycle), it really stretches out and opens up fully, showing huge gaps between tentacles. However when I am feeding it or during the low light periods, the tentacles kinda come together closer much like the photo you linked. ADDITIONAL INFO: My light hours are 1pm-1am. It wedges its foot deep into the sand bed especially during light hours but during "low-light" (8am-1pm) I will see a little of its foot creeping out of the sand. The BTA profile describes it liking ledges off the sand, so this confuses me.

Also is it normal such that the tentacles shrivel up to the point of it looking dried and wrinkled for no apparent reason then "reinflate" minutes later? I've seen this happen perhaps two times since I've gotten it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom