Green Hair Algea

deadhead

Reaction score
I have a planted 55 gallon that has been up and running for a pretty long time now. Over 1 year. Green algae has been a problem with this tank since the beginning but I've been gaining control over it over time. I'm now experiencing a new type of algae which is a green hair algae. The lights are on 6 hours a day and I'm running CO2 at a fairly low level. Any idea what causes this when it's only on the plants and nothing else. Any suggestions on how to combat this problem. I haven't changed a thing as far as supplements, maintenance or anything else and have no idea why this just started. Surface agitation and filtration are at a high level.

20200517_093542.jpg
20200517_093553.jpg
Planted Tank.jpg" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-attachment697111" data-lb-id="attachment697111">
Planted Tank.jpg
Tank Filtration.jpg

Attachments

OP
deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
The only thing to add is last weekend during a water change I did a major trim job on everything in the tank. I cut most of the plants down almost half way. This was to combat the other green algae problem I've been fighting long term. I'm constantly trimming the plants due to fast growth but never as much as I did last week.

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have no idea what could be causing it if nothing has changed for a year. Perhaps the trim allowed excess nutrients from fertilisers because the plants aren't as big and aren't uptaking as much?
I have strong lighting in some tanks that have caused green hair and other algae problems. I resolved the problem by splitting my lighting up into 2 , 4 hour periods. So on for 4 hours, off for 4 and back on for another 4. I read somewhere that algae requires over 4 hours of light to be able to survive and that this would help. It did! I have no algae in these tanks anymore so I'd personally highly recommend this method if its doable for you :)

OP
deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
I've read about that lighting method before but haven't tried it. I turn my CO2 on 1 hour before the lights come on and turn off the CO2 2 hours before the lights go out. I'm going to try splitting up the lighting period. Should I set the timer up to keep the same match between the lights and CO2? I'm also considering turning up the CO2. While I'm happy with the plant growth rate, my CO2 checker always shows there isn't enough CO2 in the water. I just don't want to overdose my fish if the plants are growing well.

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
deadhead said:
I've read about that lighting method before but haven't tried it. I turn my CO2 on 1 hour before the lights come on and turn off the CO2 2 hours before the lights go out. I'm going to try splitting up the lighting period. Should I set the timer up to keep the same match between the lights and CO2? I'm also considering turning up the CO2. While I'm happy with the plant growth rate, my CO2 checker always shows there isn't enough CO2 in the water. I just don't want to overdose my fish if the plants are growing well.
It certainly worked for me and my tank was far worse than yours in terms of the amount of algae!
I don't have any personal experience with CO2 unfortunately, but I believe it's the PH fluctuations it can cause at higher doses, that can harm your fish.
Here's a good discussion on lighting and CO2 that hopefully can be of some use to you!

OP
deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
Falena said:
It certainly worked for me and my tank was far worse than yours in terms of the amount of algae!
I don't have any personal experience with CO2 unfortunately, but I believe it's the PH fluctuations it can cause at higher doses, that can harm your fish.
Here's a good discussion on lighting and CO2 that hopefully can be of some use to you!

Swings in the PH is something I'm not experiencing with the amount I dose. I'm clearly using enough to promote excellent growth. It's like the plants are on steroids compared to not using it. I just set up my lights to come on for 4 hours, off for 4 and on for another 4. We'll give it some time and see what the results are. I'll check out the link you added. Thanks for your imput.

New Threads