Green Hair Algae

Bighead

Have a 90 gallon salt tank and I've been fighting with green hair algae phosphate is a little high and my protein skimmer was on the blink any help no getting this back to normal . I think I need some snails two the cleaning crew is a little lean right now to been using algae flex it's been some what helpful but not quite good enough.

HarrisonAquatics

If it were me, I'd get some crabs in there to help with the algae. If it's a reef, be careful what crabs you put in. If it's a FOWLR, go nuts with Emerald Crabs.

How high is high when it comes to phosphate? And Nitrate? You can also remove rocks from the tank and spot-treat the algae with hydrogen peroxide. Then, rinse the rock with RODI or saltwater, and put it back into the tank. Repeated treatments like that will eventually turn it white and kill it - where it can be removed with a toothbrush, CUC, and airhine hose to suck it out. Lots of water changes will help, too.

saltwater60

Well Known
Peroxide won’t hurt the live rock. Peroxide dissipates fast.
Get your phosphates down and get your skimmer working properly and it will do you a world of good. Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrates if your skimmer cup has overflowed back into the tank.
Plenty of inverts will eat hair algae.

SecretiveFish

Well Known
Tuxedo urchins and pincushion urchins(Tripneustes gratilla) are very effective at clearing it out although you need to make sure you have good water quality for them.

saltwater60

Well Known
SecretiveFish said:
Tuxedo urchins and pincushion urchins(Tripneustes gratilla) are very effective at clearing it out although you need to make sure you have good water quality for them.
Pincushion urchin is a great idea.

New Threads