Green Hair Algae Problem

Aka1417

I have a really bad green hair algae problem, and I don’t know the cause. It is a planted 10 gallon with 1 betta, 2 Nerite snails and 3 ADFs. The substrate is fertilized and I fertilize the water every week. The lighting is LEDs that run all day most of the time and turned off at night. I feed my frogs where food gets kind of everywhere, and I’m trying to fix that. I’ve had an algae problem for a little while but it was normally really easy to scrape off of plants and wouldn’t get on the walls to much, not it’s developed into the hair stuff and gets everywhere.

schmartiepantz

I'm no expert on algae, but I have had green hair algae before.
What I did to get rid of it was that I reduced the time that the light was on. Another tip is to use skewers to remove the algae. You just turn the skewer and the algae gets rolled onto the skewer.

Hope that helps!

California L33

Algae is almost always caused by too much light. Reduce your photo cycle until your plants grow, but the algae doesn't.

To get a head start do a 72 hour blackout. This should vastly reduce the algae without harming the plants, fish, frogs, or snails. Wrap the tank in the darkest towels/sheets you've got and keep them there without the lights OFF for 3 days- just edited this, miswrote 'on' to begin with. Clean the dead algae out of the tank. Start again with a 4 hour photo cycle (lights on) and if you don't get algae you can increase it. If you do then decrease it. You'll find there's a point where your Nerites can keep any algae that does grow under control.

Aka1417

There is a ton of algae on the live plants and decor that is really hard to get off, any tips on how to remove it?

California L33

There is a ton of algae on the live plants and decor that is really hard to get off, any tips on how to remove it?

I would try the blackout, then wipe under running water- very gently in the case of the live plants. Dead algae comes off much more easily than live algae.

Aka1417

Ok, thank you for the advice!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gillyfish
Replies
Views
kdxj5
Replies
Views
airdog44