Green hair algae growth in my tank

prasunchoudhari

so to give you all a background about what had happened in the past,
I have had a saltwater setup from 2014. but due to my studies it was neglected from 2017. no water changes, only top ups an no fishes at all.
now that I am back home, I have restarted my setup and have done a 100% water change along with cleaning the sand and even the unwanted algae growth on the live rocks.
Then brought in a pair of molly and guppy for a fish-in-cycle a month ago. Fortunately the female molly and guppy both has given birth to a few fries (the last I counted there were 5 fries from molly and 1 from guppy)
The only drawback was that I had to stop the wavemaker and external filter for some days so that the fries would not get sucked in it.
because of water stagnancy, there is a growth of green hair algae in my tank.

current condition: filter is turned on, protein skimmer was on from day one, wavemaker is still not turned on due to the size of the guppy fry.
please suggest some ways to fight the green hair algae. (have tried pulling out the algae using a pair of stainless steel tongs but there is regrowth)

prasunchoudhari

Mike please help with this. the green hair algae is spreading like wildfire

AquaPhilNJ

I can't say for 100%, but personally don't believe lack of water flow causes algae growth. in my tank the most flow intense area has algae. If it is a single removable rock you can pour H202 (hydrogen peroxide) on it to remove the algae; dont' take my word for it alone can see others discuss online. Could add another powerhead with low flow. Measurements of Po4 and Nitrate are good place to start, as you know the lower the less chance for algae.

prasunchoudhari

I can't say for 100%, but personally don't believe lack of water flow causes algae growth. in my tank the most flow intense area has algae. If it is a single removable rock you can pour H202 (hydrogen peroxide) on it to remove the algae; dont' take my word for it alone can see others discuss online. Could add another powerhead with low flow. Measurements of Po4 and Nitrate are good place to start, as you know the lower the less chance for algae.
i guess i found out the reason for this algae growth.
nitrates read 40 ppm
could not get a test kit for PO4 in the local stores. planning to order it online
i guess i found out the reason for this algae growth.
nitrates read 40 ppm
could not get a test kit for PO4 in the local stores. planning to order it online
planning to do a 30% partial water change tomorrow morning

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Trickytam01
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • RDcompton03
  • Algae
Replies
Views
RDcompton03