Help Green Hair Algae And Brown Algae

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi there,

I have been having problems with hair algae and brown algae. From what I’ve read, these tend to be problems for tanks that are young/just finished cycling.

However, I’ve had my setup for several months. What can I do to prevent this algae from growing?

Info about the tank:
20 gallon high with bio balls, Seachem matrix, and pothos plant in filter (it’s an aquaponic filter). Lighting is about 1.5 wpg (I have 2 Asta 20 lights).

7 furcatas, 2 endlers, 1 GBR, 1 mystery snail, 2 Amano shrimp

The endlers, shrimp, and snail eat algae a little, but they definitely don’t keep it in check.

I do 50 percent water changes every 4 days. Nitrates are always around 5ppm (nitrite and ammonia at 0). I try to scrub off the algae, but sometimes it's difficult to do (taking it off the glass is the easiest, live plants are the most difficult). I've heard of using hydrogen peroxide for spot treating algae, but I'm sure this is not a long-term solution.

My plants do alright. I use root tabs for jungle Val, dwarf lily, and lemon bacopa. My java fern isn’t doing so hot. The algae grows on all the plants.

So yeah, if anyone has any ideas to help prevent this stuff from growing (long-term), that would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey there! I had similar issues with brown diatom algae as I didn't realize my substrate had a lot of silicate (silicone? Whatever makes the stuff grow). Amano shrimp helped me and my plants out, and it was easy enough to scrub off the glass.
For the hair algae, amanos can also help, but a 4 day blackout should kill off most of it

Top Bottom