Green Frog Invasion

wrs2

eFor the past two years I have been having issues with Northern Green Frogs taking over my summer tubs. Last year it wasn't that big of an issue, but this year in my 55 gallon patio pond / tub, I have at least 17 green frogs living in there. I was trying to breed danios, but I have had zero success. I starte doff with 12, and now I am down to 5. Can these green frogs be eating my fish? What can I go to get rid of them? I took the pond apart today to try and deal, but they just keep coming back. I have about 2 months left to try and get something to breed and I want to switch over to something else, because I think the frogs have eaten the danios! I did find one small guy, so maybe one baby was laid? IDK. Help!!

Donovan Jones

It's my understanding that green frogs are actually beneficial and only eat dead or dying fish. Could u post pics?

Upvote 0

wrs2

Here they are.

Attachments

• 27C61789-E564-4125-AFCA-7BBD31F3F5BA.jpeg
    27C61789-E564-4125-AFCA-7BBD31F3F5BA.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 66
  • 58958F4F-A42C-49D1-8AEA-E1EB121A7A3E.jpeg
    58958F4F-A42C-49D1-8AEA-E1EB121A7A3E.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 33E322EB-0E05-4139-B216-14EB0A300503.jpeg
    33E322EB-0E05-4139-B216-14EB0A300503.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

angelcraze

Wow those water lettuce grow huge outside.

Idk my amphibians, but would a toad eat fish?

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

Definitely a green frog, but might not be the culprit. I dont think they can catch danios, do u have any water tigers or dragonfly nymphs in your pond?

Upvote 0

wrs2

I have seen dragonflies, all over, but not a single nymph in the pond, and never have I seen a water tigers before. I actually did find 2 more danios. I couldn't catch them though. I think I will just try some type of swordtail or platy. They are larger fish and breed more often, so there should be a high outcome of success with fry. I usually can keep a summer tub up till mid October, so I have some time still!

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

I think zebra danios are a bit too good at egg eating anyways, so it might be for the best. Wishing u luck

Upvote 0

chromedome52

Given that Danios are likely to stay close to the surface, I suspect it is possible for the Green Frogs to try to eat them. They are attracted by movement (yeah, like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park), and a fish moving around just below the surface would get their attention.

I've got two wading pool ponds, and also have an abundance of Green Frogs. I have no fish in them, and the frogs control the bugs. Some of the bigger frogs also "control" the smaller ones. They can be cannibalistic.

Upvote 0

angelcraze

Given that Danios are likely to stay close to the surface, I suspect it is possible for the Green Frogs to try to eat them. They are attracted by movement (yeah, like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park), and a fish moving around just below the surface would get their attention.

I've got two wading pool ponds, and also have an abundance of Green Frogs. I have no fish in them, and the frogs control the bugs. Some of the bigger frogs also "control" the smaller ones. They can be cannibalistic.
Thanks Chrome, you've given me a great idea! I wanted to build a water feature with plants in my yard, but no fish so I was worried about bugs (mosquitoes). But frogs would be the perfect solution! I'll just let them find the feature.

Upvote 0

wrs2

Well today they are ALL back, and I took them out and put them in the woods well away from the pond. I really want them to go away, even if they might not be bothering the fish. I don't trust they wouldn't eat the fry if the new platys have babies.

Upvote 0

angelcraze

So you are rolling with platys now? Well at least you know they can reproduce on their own in the pond, so if you still get no babies, it's the frogs.

Sorry they are annoying you so much Good luck with the platys.

Upvote 0

wrs2

Yup! I already have one smaller pond with panda platys, so I figured I will try with a different version in the bigger pond. But instead of a male platy, I added in a male sword tail to the mix. So I will see what comes from it. I have a ton of floating plants which I hope will provide coverage from the frogs. If not, I have some tanks I can use to breed. I want to get some LFS credit! lol

Upvote 0

angelcraze

I have a ton of floating plants which I hope will provide coverage from the frogs. If not, I have some tanks I can use to breed. I want to get some LFS credit! lol
Well that's always good for a pond! LFS credit huh? Do they buy plants? I used to sell fish and plants to my LFS.

Have you looked into shrimp? In the winter months you can breed them inside in small tanks, they fetch a pretty penny!

Upvote 0

wrs2

Well that's always good for a pond! LFS credit huh? Do they buy plants? I used to sell fish and plants to my LFS.

Have you looked into shrimp? In the winter months you can breed them inside in small tanks, they fetch a pretty penny!
My LFS doesn’t sell shrimp so idk have to get them online and I’m too cheap for the shipping lol.

Upvote 0

angelcraze

My LFS doesn’t sell shrimp so idk have to get them online and I’m too cheap for the shipping lol.
Well I guess they wouldn't buy shrimp from you anyway then if they don't sell them. But locally, i'm sure you'd find ppl to buy them. But yeah, I was shocked to see how much shrimp are now. All I know is that when I had them, I got shrimplets galore.

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

I dont think putting them in the woods will keep them away unless they find a closer pond. We dont have any bodies of water for miles where they'd live around me and they keep showing up.

Upvote 0

wrs2

There’s a stream and some wetlands back there, but I guess it’s not wet enough for them or whatever But when I was doing my nightly checks of the tubs, I saw a fry! It was super tiny and swam away before I could ID what it is. I don’t know if one danio baby survived or if a platy came pregnant. Who knows. It will probably get eaten anyways.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

I had an issue with these...I uh..launched it into the neighbors field across the road from my yard and haven't seen any since. Still see the tree frogs and their tadpoles/poliwogs.
If there was litter on the bottom of the pond, either from roots falling or similar, it could have been from a danio.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

All this talk of frogs, now i wanna pond for bullfrogs....i love their evening songs!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dimitrinivo
  • Question
  • LHanna61
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
kansas
  • Question