Green flowers growing on live rock?, green feather dusters?

oscarmk

HI all,

This all started about 3 weeks ago, I started seeing on 2 rocks what looked like grass growing on the rock, but now that "grass" is now becoming a "flower" a green small flower. Looking online for answers, it looks like it might be some type of green feather duster?.

Here are some pics of them:

It appears harmless but it seems to be growing rather quickly, last week there were only 2 flowers I have counted 6 now.

Tank parameters 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 8.2 PH 1.023 SG. And presumably 0 phosphates but I am sure it is because it is binding with the algae I have on my tank.

It is a biocube 29 stock, with a hydor protein skimmer and the media basket with chemipure and perigen. Tank is 7 months old, and this just started happening right after I scrubbed those 2 rocks because they had too much green hair algae on them, coincidence maybe?. I also scrubbed some other rocks, and those do not have any of this flowers. To scrub them I put them on salt water and used a new toothbrush.

Anyone knows what this is?.

r39l.JPG

This is a single one right in the middle of the photo.

5hea.jpg

The rock has several sprouts some of them have flowers already.

Thank you,

Oscar

Aquarist

BumpChristmas.gif

Ken

Mike

Not sure.. Maybe a macro algae starting to take hold. I had halimeda start growing in tank that was around six months old before.

utkgreg

Wow haven't seen that one before.... at first it looked like green hair algae, but then with the polyps, I'm at a loss... kind of neat, though

ryanr

HI oscar,
Try searching for s of Neomeris sp. - aka Spindle weed

oscarmk

HI oscar,
Try searching for s of Neomeris sp. - aka Spindle weed

HI ryanr,

Thank you for your suggestion, I did a search for spindle weed, but I am pretty positive that does not look like the sprouts in my tank, unless it is a special kind of it, but could not find any matching what I have.

oscarmk

Anyone knows?, I got so many now on the same rock, I wouldn't say it looks bad, but not sure if I should remove them or not...

Here is a new pic:

eeut.jpg

I just got back from a 16 day vacation and thankfully everything worked correctly and everyone is OK. However as expected there is quite a bit of algae...

ryanr

Next guess: Acetabularia crenulata aka Mermaid's Wineglass

mangups

Just looked up stuff for you Oscarmk - check out this links too:

oscarmk

Thank you both for your replies, it looks a little bit like your first link mangups, but quite positive that is not it. However Mermaid's Wineglass looks VERY close must be a variant of it. I am cleaning my tank today, and since it does not seem to be a problem for now, I will leave them, based on what I read some people actually want to keep this ones, and I do agree they look kinda cool, plus they are very easy to remove from what I read.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Stang Man
110 Gallon Tank Feather Duster Behavior
Replies
Views
harpua2002
Replies
Views
Gourami22
Replies