green fire tetras

alex5455

Reaction score
has anyone heard of these tetras called green fire tetras and i spotted a picture of them onn a price list at work a few days ago it claims there not dyed but i was wondering if anyone had any additional info

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try and google/yahoo it.
Tom

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are these the flourescent fish? There are some that are not dyed, rather they are genetically modified. The gene insertion occurs while the eggs are carried by the female, the genes are extracted from jellyfish. Once the first generation has been modified, the genes can be passed on, though I have heard other places that the ones for sale are sterilized because they are patented.

I would be suspicious of fakes which are dyed and sold as genetically modified. On the other hand, I don't know the safety record for the original mothers, and I don't know what your ethics are regarding genetically altering animals just to make them look cool. On the other hand, the safety record would be better than dying because as I mentioned, once the initial generation of eggs has been modified, they will pass the color on to future generations.

alex5455

Reaction score
i think that was danios they gentically altered i looked on google and it seems they are and actual species that becomes extremely coulourful in a planted tank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom