Green cryptocome.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by MatthewM, Jul 14, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

So yesterday i got my ferts in. So i have seachem root tabs in place, and i am dosing flourish, excel, flourish potassium, and flourish iron. And overnight, my green cryptocome has dropped most of its leaves. They are all floating on top. I am not 100% sure thats what the plant is. But either way, what am i doing that is causing it to lose it's leaves like that?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What light are you using and how many hours do you use it?

3. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

4. Dom90

Oh ok I think I figured out the problem. Sometimes, plants such as Crypts and Vals dont do so well with Excel, so you need to slowly acclimate them to the dosage. You probably followed the recommended dose on the bottle right? I had the same problem, some of my Val's leaves turned brown and they're still recovering from this..

5. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I did at first, but then i started using lower dosages more spaced out. I was thinking it had to do with the products i started last night. I had been using excel and flourish for a few weeks, but iron, potassium, and root tabs are new as of yesterday.

6. Dom90

Uhh you dont really need Iron and Potassium unless you have a deficiency in something. Flourish Comp should cover all you really need.

7. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

It has them both yes, but in small amounts. I have a few plants that have distinct red leaves or spots, so enough iron in the water is a must. As for the potassium, it doesn't hurt and some of my plants are showing a bit of yellowing so I'll see how it goes.

8. Dom90

Well I dont use Iron or Potassium separately. Maybe Dolfan can chime in.

9. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

What kind of a setup do you have? Size? Co2? I havent had much luck with plants in the past so now that i have over $100 in plants i want to make sure it works.

10. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Are the crypts new? It is common for them to melt when they are new or when water parameters drastically change, hence the term called "crypt melt". Perhaps the change in additional ferts altered the water parameters that they responded similarly to how they do when added to a new tank.

Crypts are not sensitive to excel so that shouldn't be the issue. Root tabs will definitely help. Perhaps the crypts finally started dropping leaves as they didn't have root fertilization until you just put those root tabs in. When plants don't get enough nutrients they start to consume nutrients from themselves, hence why you see them go yellow or whither away. Crypts are heavy root feeders, so perhaps they have been struggling along not getting enough ferts, and yesterday they finally started shedding leaves, as it can be a slow process. They should bounce back with the addition of the root tabs.

The iron will be somewhat beneficial if you have a lot of plants. The potassium may be a slight benefit depending on what your plants are consuming from the Flourish Comprehensive which has both iron and potassium in it. I think the root tabs mainly will help things. Give it time and they should all bounce back.

11. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Yes, all my plants are new as of a week ago. Thanks for the info

12. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

With low light plants like crypts (not sure what else you have) and other low light plants such as bacopa, java fern, anubias, swords etc I personally have found less is more in regards to these types of plants. Even dosing liquid co2 or leaf zone (iron and potassium) I found didn't help my plants. I actually saw more yellow and holes in the leaves. Not sure which product did this but I cut back to flourish once a week and leave the rest up to the fish and now they all are growing beautifully.
    I think you can have too much in the tank that the plants cannot consume unless you have a high tech tank setup. Add that to the ammonia your fish put out and you might start seeing a bunch of algae too.

As far as crypts specifically they dislike being moved around etc and will melt. Just cut off anything dead and they should grow leaves back again.

13. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436916262.398116.jpg
    It is the 55 option

14. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

15. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

It's just regular crypt melt then, this is very common in crypts when they are new to tanks. Give them a few weeks and they will be fine. They are an easy plant to grow.

16. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

The plant has now lost all leaves. There is just a stem in my tank.

17. Dom90

Maybe now the plant will grow anew and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice