Green Corydoras

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by el337, Jul 30, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

So I just got 6 Green Corydoras! I think they are part of the aeneus species? Just wanted to confirm and also the temp they should be in. I keep my tank at 76-77. Anything else I should know about my new friends?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Green corys in Lfs are usually B.splendens, at least over here they are, though there are aenus that have a green colouring.
    Care is pretty much the same for both, they have quite a wide temperature range though will be quite happy around 24C

3. OP
    OP
    el337

Thanks Coradee! They're pretty active right now - swimming like crazy all over the place. Are they normally this way or usually chill? They were pretty calm when I saw them in the LFS so I'm hoping nothing about the tank is bothering them. Water parameters are fine also at 0,0,5.

4. Coradee

They often behave like that when in a new tank, sometimes moving them to a new tanks even gets them spawning, they should settle down in a day or so

5. OP
    OP
    el337

Spawning... ooh hope not but I guess it's inevitable since it's pretty hard to sex them. Do the eggs usually survive or are they eaten? I have guppies, neons and amano shrimp in there.

6. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

If they behave like the Aeneus, they will eat the eggs. My ones laid eggs last week and I separated them to another tank, I now have 70 (mostly) happy babies:)

7. OP
    OP
    el337

Congrats on the babies! I have a spare 10g I could move them to if they do spawn though I have no idea what I will do with them afterwards. lol

8. Coradee

I doubt any eggs would survive if you have guppies in there, if you wanted to save some then you'd have to move them to a tub or spare tank.

9. OP
    OP
    el337

Where do they usually lay the eggs?

10. Coradee

Mostly on the glass though you may find some on the underside of leaves, if they're on the glass you can use a razor blade to get them off, or if you have moss rub a clump of that gently over them & they should stick to it.

11. OP
    OP
    el337

I just have to say I was skeptical when first adding corys to my stocking list. It's been 24 hours since I've had my new green corys... and I get it. I get why people are in love with these fish. So fun to watch even when they're not doing anything. I could just stare at them all day... their round eyes blinking from time to time... sorry, couldn't help but gush. :;froglove

12. Coradee

The cory bug has bitten, there's no going back now ;)

13. OP
    OP
    el337

Yes, and as you see the first pic I've chosen as my avatar. :)

14. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I have to say that I am glad I decided to replace my lost school of Kuhli's with Cory's. I still have my 3 oddball kuhli's and they seem good but the 5 albino cory's i have now are just awesome. I do have one that has a deformed tail. He get's around well though so it doesn't seem to be bothering him much.

15. Coradee

Very nice, & it is aenus :)

16. OP
    OP
    el337

My original plan was to get adolfoi but I would have had to special order and didn't realize they were so expensive. I saw these green corys there, they looked very healthy and I loved their shimmering green color and decided to go for it. So happy I did.

17. Coradee

Adolfoi are lovely, I have a group of them.
    You could look out for Duplicareus, they're very similar to adolfoi & usually cheaper

18. OP
    OP
    el337

oh they look VERY similar to adolfoi. would they shoal with my green corys?

19. Coradee

A group of them would be fine with your aenus

20. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

But you'd need at least 6 of each species....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice