Green cory cat

Gwenz
Anyone ever heard of these? what are they like?

I was just looking at throgh the site, and wondered if anyone had heard/have some of these.

Thanks

Gwenz

Advertisement
Butterfly
I have six of the green(Aeneus corydoryas) ones and five albino(albino Aeneus corydoras). The albino are what I have fry from right now. The are sweet little corys, not a bit shy and always on the go.
Carol

Gwenz
Cool. ;D Now that Mo, my one last panda cory, has died, I might try to get a few of these, and put some in my 15gal too (if I have room :-\).

Gwenz

Butterfly
You will like them and their tough little corys.
Corol

Advertisement
Gwenz
That site is the only place I have seen them, but they have a minimum charge of £20.00, so I would have to buy something else too. I think I will probably have to try and prsuade my mum to buy them for me and then buy some equipment or something too that I could use for spares, to make the money up to £20.00. ;D

How many would you say I could put in my 7.5gal or 15gal?

Thanks

Gwenz

smillermom
I have 4 of these little guys in my 55 with 4 pandas also. Go by the inch rule for these guys. 1 fish inch to every gallon of water so figure out what is in your tank first and go from there. They do need to be in a school of 4 or more!

Gwenz
OK thanks. I don't think I will be able to have more than 2 in my 7.5gal, as I already have 5 male guppies in there, but I'm sure they will be fine with just 2.    I did have one panda Cory that did fine by himself, but recently died. 

I'm not sure how many I could put in my 15gal. What do you think? (fish lists in my signature)

Thanks

Gwenz

Butterfly
about three in the 15 gallon would be nice
Carol

poefox
I'm sorry to hear about your little panda. BTW, just an FYI: check your water carefully. Corys can be very vulnerable both to disease and to water problems. I'm sure you look after your fish to the best of your ability but the little critters will just up and die due to some trauma. I hope you find what you are looking for Gwenz.

Advertisement
Gwenz
Thanks poefox. If I manage to get some, I will make sure to acclimatise them to the tanks well, and test all the tanks before I put them in. I will probably quarantine them first anyway.

about three in the 15 gallon would be nice
Carol

Thanks Carol. So that would be 2 in the 7.5gal, and 3 in the 15gal.

Thanks again.

Gwenz

Butterfly
Yep, sounds good to me Have fun!
Carol

Gwenz
Thanks. ;D

Gwenz

el337
So I just got 6 Green Corydoras! I think they are part of the aeneus species? Just wanted to confirm and also the temp they should be in. I keep my tank at 76-77. Anything else I should know about my new friends?

Coradee
Green corys in Lfs are usually B.splendens, at least over here they are, though there are aenus that have a green colouring.
Care is pretty much the same for both, they have quite a wide temperature range though will be quite happy around 24C

Advertisement
el337
Green corys in Lfs are usually B.splendens, at least over here they are, though there are aenus that have a green colouring.
Care is pretty much the same for both, they have quite a wide temperature range though will be quite happy around 24C

Thanks Coradee! They're pretty active right now - swimming like crazy all over the place. Are they normally this way or usually chill? They were pretty calm when I saw them in the LFS so I'm hoping nothing about the tank is bothering them. Water parameters are fine also at 0,0,5.

Coradee
They often behave like that when in a new tank, sometimes moving them to a new tanks even gets them spawning, they should settle down in a day or so

el337
They often behave like that when in a new tank, sometimes moving them to a new tanks even gets them spawning, they should settle down in a day or so

Spawning... ooh hope not but I guess it's inevitable since it's pretty hard to sex them. Do the eggs usually survive or are they eaten? I have guppies, neons and amano shrimp in there.

Reyes
If they behave like the Aeneus, they will eat the eggs. My ones laid eggs last week and I separated them to another tank, I now have 70 (mostly) happy babies

el337
If they behave like the Aeneus, they will eat the eggs. My ones laid eggs last week and I separated them to another tank, I now have 70 (mostly) happy babies

Congrats on the babies! I have a spare 10 gallon I could move them to if they do spawn though I have no idea what I will do with them afterwards. lol

Coradee
I doubt any eggs would survive if you have guppies in there, if you wanted to save some then you'd have to move them to a tub or spare tank.

el337
I doubt any eggs would survive if you have guppies in there, if you wanted to save some then you'd have to move them to a tub or spare tank.

Where do they usually lay the eggs?

Coradee
Mostly on the glass though you may find some on the underside of leaves, if they're on the glass you can use a razor blade to get them off, or if you have moss rub a clump of that gently over them & they should stick to it.

el337
I just have to say I was skeptical when first adding corys to my stocking list. It's been 24 hours since I've had my new green corys... and I get it. I get why people are in love with these fish. So fun to watch even when they're not doing anything. I could just stare at them all day... their round eyes blinking from time to time... sorry, couldn't help but gush. oglove

Coradee
The cory bug has bitten, there's no going back now

el337
The cory bug has bitten, there's no going back now

Yes, and as you see the first pic I've chosen as my avatar.

tyguy7760
I have to say that I am glad I decided to replace my lost school of Kuhli's with Cory's. I still have my 3 oddball kuhli's and they seem good but the 5 albino cory's I have now are just awesome. I do have one that has a deformed tail. He get's around well though so it doesn't seem to be bothering him much.

Coradee
Yes, and as you see the first pic I've chosen as my avatar.

Very nice, & it is aenus

el337
My original plan was to get adolfoi but I would have had to special order and didn't realize they were so expensive. I saw these green corys there, they looked very healthy and I loved their shimmering green color and decided to go for it. So happy I did.

Coradee
Adolfoi are lovely, I have a group of them.
You could look out for Duplicareus, they're very similar to adolfoi & usually cheaper

el337
oh they look VERY similar to adolfoi. would they shoal with my green corys?

Coradee
A group of them would be fine with your aenus

Anders247
But you'd need at least 6 of each species....

el337
Right. That magic number. I think it's burned permanently into my brain when it comes to schooling/shoaling fish. Lol

DoubleDutch
Right. That magic number. I think it's burned permanently into my brain when it comes to schooling/shocking fish. Lol

60 is even better hahaha

el337
Right. That magic number. I think it's burned permanently into my brain when it comes to schooling/shoaling fish. Lol

Whoops realized I wrote "shocking" instead of shoaling fish and had to edit just now. Shocked myself! We certainly don't want to shock the fish!

el337
60 is even better hahaha

60! Maybe if there are fry that get hatched successfully. Lol

DoubleDutch
60! Maybe if there are fry that get hatched successfully. Lol

Know what you mean haha. Raising 55 fry.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438441404.871569.jpg

amydeb
I just have to say I was skeptical when first adding corys to my stocking list. It's been 24 hours since I've had my new green corys... and I get it. I get why people are in love with these fish. So fun to watch even when they're not doing anything. I could just stare at them all day... their round eyes blinking from time to time... sorry, couldn't help but gush. oglove

Congratulation on the new additions.
I felt the same way. Originally, I was going to get some KuhlI Loaches but at the time had smooth gravel so I went with Corydoras. I have since switched to sand and instead of adding Kuhlis, I think I just might add a few more Corys. They are adorable!

el337
Congratulation on the new additions.
I felt the same way. Originally, I was going to get some KuhlI Loaches but at the time had smooth gravel so I went with Corydoras. I have since switched to sand and instead of adding Kuhlis, I think I just might add a few more Corys. They are adorable!

Thank you! I will definitely be adding more myself... probably a group of a different species.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Magtom
Replies
Views
Guppygirl88
Replies
Views
Fireblaze305
Replies