Green color on gill area

mobaby1231

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1421187942.050593.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is ???

My nitrates and ammonia have been high because of an infestation of snails. Nitrites are 0, and PH is about 7.8, is this too high ? Can I used APIA pH down? Is it not good if there are too many chemicals in the tank at once ? Have been doing daily water changes about 30-40%, was using API water conditioner but a couple days ago started using Prime. (This fish died before I started using Prime)

My other two guppies have been flashing and sometimes do not eat even tho they are about two weeks pregnant. Most of the time their dorsal and anal find are clamped, but after water changes usually the anal find come down, but the dorsal fins stay clamped. I think their gill areas are starting to look green as well, I have never seen this and can't find anything about it on the Internet. I have three fry in the tank and don't want to lose anyone ! Please give any advice you can ,
thank you !!

mobaby1231

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately I could not find an illness that causes a green color by the gills on that website.

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it is more likely due to ammonia poisoning. Water changes need to be done to bring the level down below .25ppm for ammonia. Do large water changes daily and dose the tank with Seachem Prime to detoxify the remaining ammonia, and nitrites when they occur. Continue to do daily water changes with Prime for the duration of the cycle.

If you buy, Tetra SafeStart, you can do water changes to bring the level down below .25 and dose with Prime. Then wait for 24 hours and then add an entire bottle of TSS (Tetra SafeStart) that is big enough to treat the entire volume of water in your tank or larger. Shake the bottle really well, and follow the manufactures instructions. Don't do water changes for 2 weeks and test the levels before you do so that you know it is cycled.

I wouldn't use pH down. Once the tank is back on track with the ammonia your fish should start doing better.
Do you replace filter media? It's best if you don't replace it and just rinse it in water from the fish tank. If you replace filter media, you will throw out the majority of your bacteria, and your tank will have to cycle each time. Rinse it and reuse it. If you use activated carbon, replace that portion of the media monthly but only that portion. If you use an hang on back filter (HOB) that takes cartridges, let us know and we'll help you replace only the portion you need to. A few of us have some tricks for those.

The flashing you are seeing is also likely caused by the ammonia. Ammonia burns and irritates the skin on fish. This makes them flash. Lowering the ammonia needs to be your number one priority.

Last edited:

mobaby1231

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Shoot ... I did recently replace the filter ...
I've only been serious fish keeping for about 8 month, and am still learning a lot.

I have a small filter, , it's Aqua culture, that's about all I know about it. PLEASE share on how to replace/clean it after a month of use ! I swish it around in the siphoned out water when I do weekly changes, but after a few times of that its starts to get very coated and gross. It seemed like it wasn't doing a very good job filtering anymore, I didn't know what else to do, so I just changed it /:

So my tank in a new of different cycle now ? I need to go and get a product that cycles my tank ? And tootsie you recommend Tetra SafeStart to cycle my tank ?

Could the ammonia poisoning cause the area by the gills to turn a green color ? Or does the green symptom seem more like a fungus ? Would either of these cause them to not want to eat ?

I have done a 45% water change with prime, and I added aquarium salt to make the water brackish, hopefully this will kill the pest snails also ? I read brackish water is good for their gill function and immune system. But I realize now I should have asked if this was an okay time to make this change. If the fish are stressed, making a change to the water will stress them even more, right ?

Their analfins came down for a bit, kind of on and off ? At one point the Orange girl even had all fins out and stretched. Now they are fallowing each other around, as always, they usually stop and hang around in one place, fins clamped. There is a waterfall on the filter and I can see the tank has enough air flow. I don't think they are 'shimmying ', they don't seem to be struggling at all then they do that.

Thank you guys for your help so far !

mobaby1231

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Also, a note on their bathroom habits.. (They seem to always be in sync!) even tho they have still been refusing to eat much, they are pooping quite a lot ... Which they really didn't do at all before, which I thought was because they really weren't eating.
Could they have been constipated ? Should I give them a cooked pea ? Or is it okay now that they are going ?

Siould

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You should do a 25% water change using tap water that has been treated with conditioner to neutralize chlorine/chloramine. If your fish are still having problems after you get your water parameters fixed, then you need to repost a question containing more specific information such as how is your fish swimming, what kind of fish specifically and how is it behaving.

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't open the link for your filter. Maybe you can try another one to it.

Yes, unfortunately it looks like your tank is having to cycle again. You can cycle it by doing water changes, changing enough of the water to bring the ammonia down to .25ppm or below and use Seachem Prime to detoxify the remaining ammonia, or you can use a product called Tetra SafeStart to help you with the cycle so that all you have to do is bring the ammonia down to .25ppm or below and then 24 hours later, add Tetra SafeStart, following the directions exactly on the product.

Yes, its my opinion that ammonia poisoning is directly responsible for your fish death and discoloration. Ammonia is a poison. I cannot stress that enough. Poison does some nasty things to fish, and so yes, it can cause them not to eat and many other things. I don't see anything that would make me think fungus on your fish.

You are correct that salt may cause additional stress, so please do not add more salt. While salt in certain quantities can be used for treating some things in freshwater fish, it can be very irritating to sensitive gill membranes and sensitive skin. Freshwater fish don't require salt. At one time it seemed to be common practice and some people still choose to use it for some live bearers, but now its preferred not to use salt in freshwater tanks. Salt will also increase pH leading to the possibility of additional stress.

mobaby1231

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My orange guppy died last night. I have been doing daily water changes, sometimes twice a day. About 40%. Yesterday I did one big one, about 80%.
They seemed to be doing well for a while but then the Orange guppy got stuck in the slow filter, I'm assuming because she was slowing down and dying. I took her out and QTed her, where she passed. My one yellow guppy left seems to be doing well she has been more active then usual and all her fins are out and stretched.

Are you sure this is from ammonia poisoning ? I have never seen this ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1421365025.172697.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1421365042.589559.jpg

I tested my water yesterday before the big water change ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1421365080.578736.jpg
I will test again today once I get a chance.

In my other small tank my oto died a few days ago completely covered in a white cotton. Could they be related in anyway ?

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing I could think of that might cause the green by his gills, is a bile leak into tissue. Bile is green. Something would have majorly had to go wrong with these fish's liver or gall bladders for that to be possible and it's not isolated to just one fish. Because ammonia can poison fish it can lead to organ damage which may have resulted in this.

Unfortunately I'm not a fish vet or anything, so I cannot guarantee this is what happened, but this is what I believe may have happened.

I'm going to copy a paragraph from "water-research.net" and provide a link to the page following it.

"At higher levels (>0.1 mg/liter NH3) even relatively short exposures can lead to skin, eye, and gills damage. Slightly elevated ammonia levels falling within the acceptable range may adversely impact aquatic life. Fish may experience a reduction in hatching success; reduction in growth rate and morphological development; and injury to gill tissue (i.e., hyperplasia), liver, and kidneys. Hyperplasia-the gill filaments are swollen and clumped together, reducing the fish's ability to 'breath'."

http://www.water-research.net/index.php/ammonia-in-groundwater-runoff-and-streams

This article isn't discussing aquarium fish, but ammonia affects will be the same, although the concentration of ammonia fish tolerate for brief times differ from fish to fish.

White cotton is usually either a bacterial or a fungal infection. Usually these are brought on if fish are stressed and water quality is down. Good tank maintenance is usually enough to keep the fish immune system strong enough to fight off these types of problems. Introducing fish into a populated tank without quarantining new comers first, can subjected current fish to infection. Injuries can also be sites for fungal and bacterial infection, and in this instance it is even more important to have good tank maintenance and water quality to help prevent it. Using equipment from one tank to another tank without disinfecting the equipment first, can spread contagions.

mobaby1231

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you so much for all this information it's very helpful.

What is a good way to disinfect tank equipment ?

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can buy Net Soak products. Jungle Labs has one. http://www.junglelabs.com/Products/Aquarium/Solutions/Net-Soak-Net-Cleaner.aspx

Potassium Permanganate is one some use, Methylene Blue is another.

I know some people that even use a bleach and water solution but you wouldn't want to leave the net soaking in it for too long. No matter what you use though, always rinse it well in water before use. If you use bleach, add a little dechlorinator to a separate bucket of water, and rinse.

I tried looking to see if I could find recommended amounts for you, but I'll leave you to do a little research on how much of these products to use now that you have an idea of what you are looking for.

mobaby1231

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I will definitely look into it and do some research, thank so much !

Btw got tetra SafeStart and prime seachem, did a water change, with prime in the new water. Then I added SafeStart.
Before I did this I tested the water, ammonia is now almost perfect but the nitrate seemed even worse, hopefully the prime really helps get it down.

Again thank you ! I wouldn't have known I had to recycle my tank !

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will have nitrates in a cycled tank. Ammonia and Nitrite should both be 0 when cycled, but nitrates are usually maintained between 5 and 20 ppm in a freshwater tank.

I believe Tetra SafeStart is not suppose to be added immediately after using Prime. I believe you are suppose to wait for 24 hours or so after using Prime before you use SafeStart. However, even though I mentioned it in post #7, I see I never gave you a link that might have answered some questions on the use of Tetra SafeStart. The best I can do is provide it for you now.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Filter changing, and medications can both mess up the cycle. Adding too many fish at once can cause ammonia and nitrite spikes and so can a dead fish if it isn't spotted and removed shortly after death. It's good to learn when to watch for these problems with the cycle and how to handle them if they do ever occur. We've all gone through it at one time or another. And you are welcome.

By the way... your attachment in post #8 for your filter still doesn't work. If you would still like help with it, you'll have to let us know.

mobaby1231

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes I would really like help with changing the filter media without changing the whole thing, or keeping the good bacteria, however you do it !
Should I start a new post and try to put the picture up again ? Because it's a different issue ? Or just continue on here ?

Nitrates can be up to 20ppm? Good to know I was worried ! I'm very new to testing my tanks, the 15 and 13 gallon tanks I used to have I would only take to get tested at PETCO or petsmart maybe once every two weeks. And they usually wouldn't even show me the test strip, they would just say ' yup your good !'
Now I have a freshwater master test kit which I LOVE !

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A new thread would bring attention to other members with possibly different ideas on how you can do it, so that would probably be a good idea.

There is nothing like being able to monitor aquarium conditions yourself. Your fish thank you! and so do we. I'm glad you love it!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom