Green color forming on objects?

1. Evan1 Initiate Member

I've noticed that a green film or color is forming on rocks at the bottom, objects, decorations, and slightly on the glass. Earlier today I did a 50% water change and a filter change. It was hours after this I noticed it's forming more prodminently on various things in my tank.
    A)What is it?
    B)Is it harmful?
    C)What can I do about it?
    D)Will getting a pleco help? (I had one and it died a little while back. This never happened when he was around)
    Thanks, much help appreciated! :)

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

it is most likely just an algae growth. A pleco or catfish or some other algae eater should get rid of it for you. The algae itself is not harmful, just an eyesore, but if you didn't have a propblem before it could indicate that something is wrong with your water chemistry.

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think Emma's right on the money. Algae doesn't hurt anything the but appearance of the tank. Algae actually can help reduce your nitrates just like other live plants do, but not enough to keep it in your tank. You did not specify the size of your tank, so I would suggest a bristlenose pleco unless your tank is less than 10 gallons. You are correct in stating you didn't have this problem when your other pleco was in the tank. It sounds like he had plenty of fresh algae to eat! ;)

4. Evan1 Initiate Member

Ya I have a 10 gallon tank. I just got a "small" sized pleco. He seemed almost dead when i put him in but then started feeding (probably jsut stress from the snowy ride home). But hopefully he'll help an dbe healthy. Thanks for the help guys! More feedback welcome. ;D

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I am wondering if algae growth is very common and if it's hard to eradicate. I mean, I know it occurrs in aquaria, but I wonder in what frequencies and volumes. Do many of you get algae in your tanks? Of often? How much? I personally have never seen any algae in my 30 gallon tank, except a little tiny bit on the decor in my first 10 gallon tank, long ago. Since then, I have never seen any algae in any of my tanks. I suppose that's good. Could it be my algae eater that's so effective? What other factors, aside from algae eaters, speed up or slow down algae growth? The only factor that speeds up algae growth, that I am aware of, is direct sunlight (i.e., when a tank is standing by the window). Any other infuential factors?

P.S. Do airpumps influence algae growth in any way? That is, does more air in the water influence algae growth?

6. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

One more thing :)

I know algae are undesired in a tank. But when you just think about it - if you had really a lot of green algae on your gravel and decor (assuming the decor is natural, such as stones, wood, etc.), wouldn't that give the tank an even more natural look? I think it would look sort of cool! LOL. Aything that looks natural also looks nice. It's the same as with a slightly stained water that also gives the tank a more natural - and even a mysterious - look. All these could as well be a part of aquascaping. I read that not only algae eaters, but also many fish graze on algae. And as Gunnie has said, algae help reduce the nitrates.

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Algae uses any unused nutrients in the tank to grow, the more nutrients the more algae. Live plants compete for these same nutrients and if you have enough live plants you will have very little algae.
    My unheated tank has algae on the rocks and wood and this intentional. The Hillstream Loaches I keep in that tank munch on little critters that grow in algae. I kind of like the way it looks also.
    Carol

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

algae does look pretty on natural objects.

um..i have a problem now. I have really ugly reddish brown algae on my (ugh) fake :-[ plants. (believ me i reallly want a tank seething with live plants!! :( ) well anyway the algae is like a thin coat and som e little tiny lumpy spots. i couldnt get it out by rubbing between my fingers. anyone know what it is???? its really ugly!

9. dahly Member Member

My clown pleco ate all of that same type of algae off all of my fake plants. Since you have a pleco, be patient and it will soon be gone too! ;D

10. dano569 Member Member

growing algae for mbuna cichlids to eat is great.i've got a tank with some south american cichlids and africans mixed.when i get my new tank set up for the africans i'm not sure if i'll put a pleco in it or not.isabella is right it would look cool.  ;D ;D

11. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

dahly i do have a pleco but he is very shy and he never even goes up there to the plants. he mainly stays under things and behind things and occasionally ventures into the open but dashes for cover when i come around. so i have to tuck his algae wafer in his favorite hiding place for him or he will never eat it. also the algae has spread to all my plants now! :mad: theyre all turning red brown and icky (not ich-y lol)

12. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

but my tank is only about 3 weeks old. he will probably be much less shy when he gets used to me.

13. dahly Member Member

My Clown Pleco hides most of the time, as is his nature. At night, when no ones looking and the lights are off, he's chomping on algae like it's free! Well, I guess it is, for him! ;D Have no fear, when he gets hungry the algae will be gone!