Green Chromis Keep Dying

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Deonfish, Jul 16, 2017.

1. D

Deonfish New Member Member

I have a 40 gallon tank with a power-head, filter, live rock, sand ect.. My tank has been up and running for about a month and a 2 weeks now. I started off with 3 Green Chromis, A pair Snowflake Clowns, 2 snails, and 4 hermits. Everything died in about 6 day except hermits and snails. So I waited a week before I'v gotten Royal Grammar, another pair of SF Clowns, and 3 more Chromis. All died except 1 small Chromis like 1/2 inch. So I slowed down and just started with chromis again I had 4 for about 5 days now and 1 died. I test my water like every other day because I don't want to lose anything. Everything is alright salinity and all I'm about to quite maybe it's not for me what do I do??:banghead::banghead::banghead:

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore.

When you say you're testing water, what exactly are you testing?
    Temperature, salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? [can you provide the test results]
    How are you acclimating the fish?
    What water are you using (tap water, RODI?)

Off the cuff, it sounds like an un-cycled tank.
    Do the fish show any signs of ammonia poisoning (red inflamed gills)?
    Any puncture wounds? It could be a spearing mantis shrimp.

Unfortunately, with the information provided so far, it's hard to determine what might be causing your issues.

3. OP
    OP
    D

I test everything ammonia, nitrate, nitrite all of it. I do the strip test then the chemical drops test.
    How I acclimate them is by float the bag for about 20 min, then add my tank water to the bag. Then float the bag for another 20 min and so on until its full.
    I use tap water but I treat it and let the water airrate untill fully disolved.
    No signs of any pain or anything and I just did a water change aa few days ago

4. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

So, I am pretty new to the salty side of things but I hope I can help. You've stated that you test everything... does that include calcium, magnesium and alkalinity? Thing is, tap water can, (but doesn't always), already have high levels of each of those. So, for example, let's say your tap already has high calcium. The salt mix also has calcium... So, in this case, after mixing, calcium levels would then be too high.

This is why it is recommended to use RODI water in a salt tank. You want to start with a TDS (total dissolved solids) of zero, or very close. You may have very high TDS levels in your tank water.... if you start with high TDS in the tap, then add salt, you could be bringing those levels into the dangerously high range.

If you're tank's nitrogen cycle is complete then I would definitely start looking into your source water. Hope this helps!:)

5. OP
    OP
    D

A lot thanks, so should I buy saltwater already made is that ok?

6. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Buying pre-mixed water may be a good option...

I would encourage you to do some research into ideal parameters for a saltwater tank. I can't say what exactly will fix your situation but patience and research have been my best tools so far. Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    D

Ok thank you so much!!

8. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

Salt Water is more difficult so don't put several fish in a day. Put in a fish and wait a couples days, try another, if they live you can start adding 2 or 3 every couple days.
    +what live rock do you have
    +any corals
    +how are you testing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice