60 Gallon Tank Green Barred Danios (Opsarius Pulchellus)

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my LFS has a pair of what they decribe as "Royal Opsarius" which has taken me the best part of a week to find out that Opsarius Pulchellus is slightly more commonly known as the Green Barred Danio. Apparently, these two lovely guys have been in stock for at least six months, which positively shocked me!

Due to their new introduction to fish keeping, as a result of them being native to Myanmar (Burma), it is almost impossible to find out much about their care through "googling!"

I have literally just joined the forum after finding out that at least one of your forum members is breeding them

I believe they spend most of their time near the river bed of fast flowing streams. However, I would love to find out more about:-
Water temperature
Water hardness
Are they as hardy as other danios?
Do you feel they would mix well with the smaller rainbows (furcata, celebes, neon dwarf) and halfbeaks (currently my planned stocking)?

Many thanks

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore. The above link may be of some help to you. Hopefully you'll get some more responses before too long.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been keeping a tank of these for over a year now. They are very beautiful fish and have grown to 4" in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P32B1XKhmY

They are very active and highly excitable. I keep mine at room temperatures 68F/72F with the water close to neutral 6.8/7.2pH

I have only ever kept them with other Danios.

Best of luck!

Dennis

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very Nice! There are many beautiful Danio besides the standard zebra, leopard and glo danio.
Carol

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the feedback so far, it was reading Danionin.com's posts that got my attention to this mysterious species of danio!

I would love to home these two in my planned setup, they look so unique with the tiger stripes and at the same time, they are lively yet gentle with each other and the climbing perch school (at least that's what I think they were) in the same LFS tank.

However, I do have some reservations:-
  • I need to know that a pH of 7.5 to 8.2 and a gH of 12-16 (both depending on whether I mix some RO water with tap water) is going to be fine for them long term.
  • I'm a little concerned about just getting two. The LFS info label claims they are fine in twos, but I have no way of confirming that due to their rarity.
  • Will they have enough room in a 240litre tank? I gave up my original idea of Bosemani and Kutubu Rainbows as I did not want to confine a lively fish in a 48" long tank
  • Given my current focal point stocking of smaller rainbowfish (tank is still fishless), which as adults will be 5-8cm long, I'm worried if these danios may bully the smaller tank mates and/or spook the Halfbeaks, which makes me think about...
  • Abandoning the small rainbowfish/Halfbeak plan and find similar sized suitable tank mates like Redline Torpedo Barb; Humphead Glassfish (another rare Manymar fish that they have in stock); Congo Tetra, Rhomb Barb (closest fish I've seen to the Opsarius, albeit smaller) etc.

I have gone through so many stocking plans over the last month, it has got to a point where I just want it to stop! It has consumed most of my spare time outside work, since walking around the tropical fish shop on my new postal round!???

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wish me luck Dennis, I've not long come home and am current drip acclimitising the pair of Opsarius!

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wish me luck Dennis...
Best of luck my friend!

They are very cool fish. Since the video, I've moved mine into a well planted 20 gallon long. Depending on the mood of the fish, the green bars run from a bright emerald to a deep rich forest green.

I hope yours bring you as much enjoyment as mine have brought to me!

Dennis

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Dennis!

Things got off to a scarey start while acclimitising them, as one jumped 18" out of the 3 gallon bucket and onto the floor! Here was the fish I had been "window shopping" for six weeks flapping around, but thankfulley he/she settled on a birthday card and I was able to replace it back in the bucket!

An easy way to determine the sex of this pair?

Do any of yours have the odd white/sparkly scale just off their back ridge?

Do any of yours have an almost complete white "ring" where the dorsal fin meets the back ridge? As a precaution, I've added 30ml Pimafix, as I am currently treating the adult Pearl Danios in my Korrall60 QT, for a single white pimple on two of their lower mouths.

One of them has a ~3x3mm graze on top of their head, the outer skin was still loosely attached yesterday, but is gone now. Not sure of this was the one that "jumped bucket" or whether it is down to a natural accident in the tank, like catching head on the bogwood cave entrance. Should I add anything to the water besides the Pimafix to help it heal? I currently have Protozin; Myxazin; Pimafix; Melafix.

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but info on these guys is so scarce on the web from my searches.

Here's a photo I took of them about an hour ago without a flash, didn't want to freak them out at a time when they are becoming bolder...

504.jpg

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
...as one jumped 18" out of the 3 gallon bucket and onto the floor!
Sounds like lots of excitement over your way!

An easy way to determine the sex of this pair?
I use the age old standard for sexing "egg scatters", the girls are a little fuller bodied.

Do any of yours have the odd white/sparkly scale just off their back ridge?
I don't notice any sparkle when I watch them, but in photos they sometimes show it...

540.jpg

535.jpg

536.jpg

537.jpg

Do any of yours have an almost complete white "ring" where the dorsal fin meets the back ridge?
Not that I've noticed. The white ring in the first photo is a water spot on the glass.

Should I add anything to the water besides the Pimafix to help it heal?
Can't help with this one... I try to avoid adding any chemicals to my tanks.

Looks like you've got yourself some nice looking fish there. I don't do anything special for mine... unheated tank, 6.8/72pH, 3/5GH. Once they have settled in and fattened up you should be able to tell the male from the female. Enjoy your new fish!

Dennis

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dennis,
I'm getting concerned about how my pair of Opsarius look and are behaving...

They both have red flecks in their body outline towards their rear fin.
They both have white "chins" with pinky red patches.
They both have greeny/brown patches on their "foreheads" with bits of sore looking redness like the "chins."
They both have patches of steely blue around their "cheeks."
I'm really worried they have some some of bacterial/fungal infection, but as I have only been keeping fish for a few weeks, I have no experience to go on. Part of me wonders if the head issues are from a combination of getting them home, one of them jumping onto the floor during acclimitisation for ~10 seconds, or perhaps catching their heads when darting behind/under the bogwood.

They still don't seem to be eating after just over 72 hours of being here. I left some defrosted bloodworm in the tank before I left for work this morning, it looks like some may have been eaten, but cannot be sure.

Besides a brief 30 second spell this afternoon, when one of them swam mid and upper areas, they are sticking to the bottom of the tank in an open section in the filter current and hide behind the bogwood in a 240l tank. In the basic unplanted/gravelled shop tank, which they shared with ~3 "Headstanders" and ~10 Climbing Perch, they zoomed around at all levels playfully.

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Two things from the pictures... I don't see any indication of fungus & your fish look different from mine. Perhaps a different species.

With just the pair, you may need some dither fish to get them to feel more at ease. Hanging out in the current sounds like normal behavior to me. I've watched mine do it for hours... sort of slow motion swimming. lol

I would give them some more time to settle in and perhaps add some tank mates. I would also hold off on adding any medication until you know exactly what you are treating. Far more harm than good has been done by simply guessing at the problem and adding chemicals to a tank.

I know I'm seeing them from long-distance, but they look great from here!

Dennis

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm, just found an old forum post which had a link to this set of photos...

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/3772opsarius.jpg

First thing I noticed was the white spots on the ridge line; an interrupted red line towards the tail; steel blue patches on the gills; browny-green marks on the forehead (although not great pics for this)...

I'm now less concerned about their health and am now wondering if the displaying is due to a male-female pair or a pair of males!

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I began to worry about some of those patches on these guys, so they went for a car ride with me back to the LFS for an expert check-up my the manager (nice bloke, very passionate about the hobby). The great news was that they were given the all-clear!

So after a water change, I had a quick re-shuffle of some plants in preparation for adding both an African Butterfly and Bush fish on Tuesday...

200.jpg

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dannis, I thought you and perhaps some other forum members would like to see these beauties I came across yesterday in Cadnam labelled as "Mackeral Barb!!!"

Their wholesaler will not guarantee the Barilius species, but I reckon there are backeri; canarensis (the gorgeous red dorsal and black/white blotchy caudial fins); dogarsinghi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN1tUdhgDsw

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the video, cool looking fish! I would definitely have to have some if they were available locally. ;D

It must be nice to have the selection of aquatic stores that you are blessed with over in the UK. Around here we just have the Pet Super-Stores and they leave a lot to be desired...

Dennis

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Part of me is really tempted by the canarensis (in the hope they would school with my Opsarius), but my stocking plan is already on a tight schedule and there is no guarantee they would get along (the canarensis males were bickering with each other the most out the whole tank, which in some ways may suit my pair as the dominant one sometimes bullies the submissive one).

Over the coming weeks I plan to add:-
1 or 2 African Butterfly Fish
2-4 Golden Panchax Killis
6 Humphead Glassfish
5/6 Rhomb Barb
4 Indian Red Tail Squirrel Loaches
2-4 Steatocranus cichlids (depending on temprement, lFS expecting 4/5 species tomorrow)
2 dwarf cichlids if 4 of above is bad idea (currently likely to be Nanochromis nudiceps)

As you can see, another four 15cm could be pushing the boat out a bit far

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not very active on this forum, but thought it would be worth adding a recent update...

On Friday, I bought four Barilius canarensis youngsters (~6cm) and three Barilius bakeri (~5cm).

Oh and Danionins.com, looking at your pics again, I think at least some of them are bakeri, due to the banding on the dorsal fins (orange tips for females, orange/yellow for males)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom