Green aquarium water for 2 and a half months! Need solution.

1. l

liam14606 New Member Member

Ive had my tank since March the 4th, and all my fish are alive and well. Although I had a brown algae problem, it turned into a green water problem. Ive tested the tank and everything is stable, so I think the original problem is gone but the excess of algae remains. I do water changes every week on Monday of around 15 to 20 percent now to get rid of the green water. I have an amazon sword, two anubias plants, and a talanthera cardinalis plant. I havent used any chemicals yet, as I want to kill the algae naturally. Ive done blackouts but it only reduces the algae.I make sure to keep the lights on for around 10 hrs, and only feed the fish once a day. Can someone help me with other solutions?

2. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

How big is your tank? How many fisk do you have?

I've had tea green colours in my now old tank, but that was from driftwood tarnish (you can't do anything about that) So if you have driftwood etc, it might just be tarnish (I rather liked that colour, you can check my link to see if it looks like yours)

The algea problem you had could be the cause as well, I had several months combating algea in my tank and it did stain the water abit more, but not much.

I would suggest (I am no expert)

Remove tank from direct sunlight
    Do small water changes every day (a bucket a day)
    Extra micro filter maybe to get the micro algea.

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

10 hrs is still way too long. I'd reduce it to 6 but for the green water, you'll have to do a blackout for a week. That's how I got rid of mine but you'd really have to keep that tank covered with a blanket and absolutely no light should be able to get in. Is the tank getting any direct sunlight?

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can get rid of green water with a UV sterilizer too, though you should figure out the cause too so it doesn't come back.

It would help to do larger water changes too. 50% weekly would be much better.

6. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Sounds like there are excess nutrients in the water column combined with excess photo periods.

I'd reduce light to 3 hours on, 4 off, and another 3 on. Also, large water changes to help bring those excess nutrients down, something those small changes aren't doing.

But, as suggested before, blackout method is an option to nix what you have and what I said should prevent or highly reduce it.

What size tank and what inhabitants?

What are you using to light the tank? Too much PAR can cause blooms like this (why sunlight causes this)

7. Dave125g

Isn't it bad for the plants to black out the tank?

8. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Plants can survive a week without light easily. They may need to recoup a little, but plants are often shipped not using next or two day options.

9. Dave125g

Thanks I'm new to aquatic plants. That's good to know for future reference.

10. OP
    OP
    l

liam14606 New Member Member

Thanks! I havent had a driftwood so i think its just nutrient issues or sunlight.

Size 29 gallon with angelfish danios melinii corys ghost shrimp and neons. Dont worry though the angelfish wont kill the neons.

I made sure to buy drafts in the room, but a little might hit through.