Green apples fed to fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by monkeypie102, Dec 27, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Has anyone here ever feed green apples to there fish/inverts? I just nuked some in the microwave and put it in the tank so far the ghost shrimp is in love but not sure if anyone else will like it?

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't but be sure to remove any seeds, as they contain cyanide. :) I wouldn't be surprised if people have; it seems everyone has tried pretty much everything. But I think usually you're supposed to feed less fruit as compared to vegetables.

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I didn't know that about the seeds... but I cored the apples anyways before putting them in as i didn't want them to float into my filter...

4. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Now you know! You shouldn't eat them either :p

5. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

:( kill joy

6. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

She said shouldn't, not can't:;nin2

7. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

True! And everyone knows the seeds are the best part... period!

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You shouldn't eat seeds...you never know, they might grow in your stomach and than all the sudden your pooping out apples and selling them to people on the side of the road...is that what you want? Poopy apples?

9. Tigress Hill

In all "seriousness", apple seeds are mildly toxic to humans in low concentrations, but lethal to many other organisms. If you were to eat one, you would probably be fine... just don't go around eating buckets of the stuff Sean XD

10. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

green apples

My nan used to tell me if I ate an apple seed a tree would grow in my tummy now I realise she didn't want me to eat poisonous seeds but still freaked me out as a child and now I don't eat apples just incase lol.

11. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

:( fine i will just toss the bucket out them ;) I don't actually eat them I would rather eat pumpkin and popcorn seeds though :)

And yes if someone want poopy apples I would be hapy to sell some xD

However it seems Kapa, my red ear slider, loves the apple!

12. Magoo

green apples

I think I'll pass on the poopy apples but thank you for the offer :D

13. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

red eared sliders love all veggies and fruit! Thou...... in my turtle past, I always de-seeded them. Like anything with bigg-ish seeds. Because I'm paranoid. LOL

Actually if you want funny.... give her a whole strawberry. It's amazing how much they try and cram in their mouths. It's like turtle chocolate. LOL

But I digress..... this thread was about inverts :)

14. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Its okay Magoo I don't think customs would let them through anyways haha

Kapa likes her pellets, pennywort, and now apples... I have caught her goin after fish flakes when i feed the rosy minnows, silly turtle...

15. Tigress Hill

I was told that from my mother about watermelon seeds:;laughing She said vines would grow out of my ears!

You can keep your poopy apples to yourself!;)

16. Magoo

green apples

I was told that too by my nan about water melon well not from my ears but that one would grow in my tummy so really it's her fault I used to spit the seeds out at my sister lol ;)

17. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Actually this thread is about if aquatic critters in general like apples/fruit in general and the turtles are semi aquatic ;) how ever pooping fruit isn't normal or part of the thread xD silly LASS... I swear I am going t make a siggy for it..

18. Magoo

green apples

Sorry monkey I was wondering though why green apples and not red apples? Is it the texture

19. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Haha not your fault Magoo I kept it up as well... and as for green apples, if your asking why feed them and not red, the answer is simple! Its all we had in the fridge xD i prefer red as they are sweeter and green are sour to me... but hey if everyone likes them then awesome!

20. Magoo

green apples

Lol good answer the only ones in the fridge :) as long as they are munching then its all good.

I'm having to be really careful what I feed my snails in Henry's tank because the little monkey fish keeps pinching their food I have to wait until he is asleep to slip in an algae wafer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice