Green And Bba Algae 50g Tank

jpaquatics

I have had a fish tank for several years, and upgraded to a 50 gallon a little over a year ago to start a planted tank. I successfully grew my planted tank for 9 months or so (with ferts, root tabs, etc), at which point I noticed some plants wern’t doing so well. I figured it was the substrate and lighting, since I had larger gravel(CaribSea Eco-Complete) and the basic lights that come with the tank at the store (although the bulbs were full spectrum). I decided to upgrade both, upgrading my substrate to “Fluval Stratum”, and my lights to “Beamswork DA FSPEC LED”. All was fine for several weeks, and I was noticing amazing plant growth, but then issues started happening. Green algae grew all over the glass and on rocks. I tried scrubbing it off, and after about 15 minutes, was only able to get half of the front glass clean. Next, BBA started to grow, mostly on plant leaves and rocks. I completely stopped ferts once the algae growth started, but nothing has changed since. Are my lights too powerful? If so, how can I get my plants to grow healthy without overpowering the tank? Any other suggestions? Should I get otocinclus to help clean the glass and plants? How do I deal with BBA?

I have attached s below of the tank in its current state.

Please help, as this has been very stressful to deal with. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

49515A38-25BA-4C30-B709-D7C4446E6C59.jpeg

F6A074A5-7BE1-46AB-9DE7-F6A089C7E88D.jpeg

F7E005AE-0C0A-4756-BAB9-AF25C0964680.jpeg

A8701C06-9DA0-49F0-907C-7DFA5470AD1F.jpeg

kallililly1973

Nerite snails should clear the glass up and 2juvenile Siamese algae eaters will tackle the BBA but once they get older they won't go for it much also keep in mind they can get up to about 4-6". Check your parameters add more plants to try to out compete the algae for nutrients in the water lower your light schedule to 5 hours feed less. Those are a few suggestions. i'm sure others will chime in with other methods as well. UV sterilizer ( i've never used one for algae so can't comment on their results ) I think their more for a green water algae bloom.

jpaquatics

Nerite snails should clear the glass up and 2juvenile Siamese algae eaters will tackle the BBA but once they get older they won't go for it much also keep in mind they can get up to about 4-6". Check your parameters add more plants to try to out compete the algae for nutrients in the water lower your light schedule to 5 hours feed less. Those are a few suggestions. i'm sure others will chime in with other methods as well. UV sterilizer ( i've never used one for algae so can't comment on their results ) I think their more for a green water algae bloom.

I know those snails and fish will temporarily clean it up, but I want to stop this from happening again. My lights are already on a 5hr schedule. I think i’m just struggling to find the right balance of light/nutrients, etc. My tank is pretty heavily planted already so I should be good on plants. It’s just frustrating because I can’t seem to find the cause of the problem Thank you for the suggestions though, I will look into a UV sterilizer.

AlyeskaGirl

The more light, the faster plants grow and the more demand for balanced fertlizers and co2.

Algae likes plenty of light too. We just have to find that balance.

Stopping the fertlizers is doing more harm then good. Your plants have no food, deficiencies start, growth slows or plants stop growing, start to decay and algae gets a foot hold. Too much light can also make an algae farm.

Reducing the light intensity too can help but I am not familiar with your light. Add some floating plants.

You need to scrub and get out as much algae as you can. Its gonna take some work. Remove any dead decaying leaves. Extra water changes if needed. Start fertlization and dose with Excel daily, Start with a low dose and work your way up slowly so plants get used to it. Make sure there is good circulation/flow throughout the tank. Most of all be patient.

jpaquatics

The more light, the faster plants grow and the more demand for balanced fertlizers and co2.

Algae likes plenty of light too. We just have to find that balance.

Stopping the fertlizers is doing more harm then good. Your plants have no food, deficiencies start, growth slows or plants stop growing, start to decay and algae gets a foot hold. Too much light can also make an algae farm.

Reducing the light intensity too can help but I am not familiar with your light. Add some floating plants.

You need to scrub and get out as much algae as you can. Its gonna take some work. Remove any dead decaying leaves. Extra water changes if needed. Start fertlization and dose with Excel daily, Start with a low dose and work your way up slowly so plants get used to it. Make sure there is good circulation/flow throughout the tank. Most of all be patient.
Okay, thank you. I will try to scrub out as much algae as possible, and I will slowly get back onto my feet schedule. Do you think I should start using root tabs again?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Logansmith
  • Algae
Replies
Views
New2fishlovinit
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Level99Fishing
  • Algae
Replies