green algea???

LilaBean

Reaction score
hello all-- I think we may have a problem with green algae in our ever growing fry tank! there were 2 large rocks that had dark green growing on the tops-- I have removed them and some other stones that looked like they were growing the same dark green stuff-- since i've taken those out I am having trouble keeping my ph up and tha water has a cloudy bluish look to it-- will try to post some pics tonight. the fish seem okay and we have been doing water changes 2x/week. all other readings are ok except the ph-- I know not to try and change the ph too much, but I never had a problem keeping it stable before, maybe it is that all the fry are getting larger and we are feeding them more--i'm not sure-- what do you all think??? LILA

JMatt1983

Reaction score
algae thrives in well lit conditions, to get rid of it, try turning off all tank lights, and covering it with a blanket for a couple of days

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Only when you keep the tank in the dark for a few days, you have to be VERY careful when you take the blanket off. When fish are in the dark for a long time, and then they're suddenly exposed to light, they can go into a respiratory arrest and die as a result of suffocation. So be careful if you decide to do that.

A better option would be to get an algae eater if you don't have one. Since you've already gotten algae, my guess is that even if you make them go away now, they'll come back very fast. The best way to keep algae off its to have an algae eater that will keep eating them. If you have a tank 10 - 25 gallons, and if you have the space, get a few Otos. If you have a tank 30 gallons and up (I presume it's not larger than 50 - 60 gallons), and if you have the space, get a Siamese Flying Fox or a Bristlenose Catfish/Pleco.

However, remember that algae eaters have to be fed as well - they won't live on algae alone. You'll need to supplement them with algae wafers, etc ...

OP
L

LilaBean

Reaction score
hmmm... thanks isabella-- I forgot to keep 1 Pleco when I last updated my signature-- I do have one!! oops! but we have been gradually keeping the light on for less time each day and it seems to be doing better-- thank you LILA

New Threads