Green algea problem

Tschaksch

Reaction score
Hi! I have been looking for a solution for my algea problem, some type of algea(i belive bacterial) has been taking over my aquarium. I belive i initialy got the algea from a plant that i bought.
I tryed getting rid of it by cleaning the gravel, every leaf, the entire aquarium, filter and everything in attempt to get rid of the algea. It was better but it was visible that the leafs warent completely clear of the algea(couldnt scrub too hard whitout damaging all the leaves) and now that i have been gone for 3 days its as if i never did anything to get rid of the algea. The aquarium is full again. And i dont know what to do with the lighting whitout killing off the plants and my fish.
The stores in my country also dont sell any anti algea products.
I hope someone can give a sudgestion what to do or how to better clean the plants.
Thank you for your time and help!

Attachments

Best Answer - View mossman's answer

mossman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Decrease light intensity and/or photoperiod to 6 hours a day. The plants should be okay. How often are you doing water changes? Are you on city or well water? Are you able to test your phosphate levels? Planting more plants should help (some fast growing stem plants).

OP
T

Tschaksch

Reaction score
mossman said:
Decrease light intensity and/or photoperiod to 6 hours a day. The plants should be okay. How often are you doing water changes? Are you on city or well water? Are you able to test your phosphate levels? Planting more plants should help (some fast growing stem plants).
Im on well waters more or less fress from the hills from where i live, i try doing water changes every about 3 days and change 1/3 of the water.
i do not have a phosphate test kit.
I was affraid of planting more plants now since that means more surface for the algea to cover. All my plants are already covered by the algea and i even lost quite a few leaves that were more covered...
I am going to set the timer to 6 hours right away
Thank you!

Broggy said:
maybe you could get a snail, they should eat any alge in your tank.
Thank you for your reply, i already have a snail that came on a plant i bought, I acctualy had a problem where i had too many small snails but since the cleaning i can only see the big initial one and a few small ones here and there

mossman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tschaksch said:
Im on well waters more or less fress from the hills from where i live, i try doing water changes every about 3 days and change 1/3 of the water.
I was affraid of planting more plants now since that means more surface for the algea to cover. All my plants are already covered by the algea and i even lost quite a few leaves that were more covered...
Thank you!
I would also try less frequent water changes. Your water could have elevated phosphates. Also, changing so much of the water so frequently results in instability, which algae will take advantage of. I would shoot for 25% once per week and see how that works out. Also, only feed your fish once a day and remove any uneaten food after 2 or 3 minutes.

OP
T

Tschaksch

Reaction score
mossman said:
I would also try less frequent water changes. Your water could have elevated phosphates. Also, changing so much of the water so frequently results in instability, which algae will take advantage of. I would shoot for 25% once per week and see how that works out. Also, only feed your fish once a day and remove any uneaten food after 2 or 3 minutes.
Thank you!!
I already feed my fish once a day and make sure that i dont feed more than it eats so im realy sure that food isnt a problem, I regularly clean out if i feed too much , but thank you anyways, i will do water changes less frequently now and i belive you might be right about the water since things got a bit worse since imoved from the city where i studyed back home due to the COVID situation.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tschaksch said:
Thank you!

Thank you for your reply, i already have a snail that came on a plant i bought, I acctualy had a problem where i had too many small snails but since the cleaning i can only see the big initial one and a few small ones here and there
Plants will help take up nutrients from the water that would otherwise go to algae. Adding plants is a good thing if you're battling algae. I've even added plants to a tank with green water, and then removed them when the algae was better.

By the way, in your first post you mentioned that you thought the algae came with a plant. That's doubtful. Algae always shows up if conditions are right for it.

GrantS44

Reaction score
I used to have that in my tank until i got 3 snails and its fine now

New Threads