Green Algae!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Heather12404, Dec 16, 2012.

1. H

Heather12404 Valued Member Member

I've had my 29G for over a year and never had any algae. I had diatoms for quite a while when I first got started but they're long gone.
    Now I have a serious green algae issue. What causes green algae and how the heck do I get rid of it? It's not stringy. But it's impossible to scrub off of my decor, I can barely get it off the glass.
    Make it go away!!!

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I had that issue your lfs sells ingredient to get rid of it also a pleco or Octilius could help

3. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like Green Spot Algae. Nerite Snails are pretty much it that can scrape it off. Otos and Plecos cant help.

Is your tank planted?

Cause is too much light or lights on too long. What is your lighting? How long is the photoperiod? How old are your lights?

Planted tank is low phosphates. Basically an imbalance.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Check out the links below:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/algae/107961-why-there-algae-my-tank.html

https://www.fishlore.com/CloudyWater.htm

Please do not use any chemicals to try and remove algae from your tank. When you are trying to mimic a natural environment, adding chemicals designed to Kill or Destroy is not a good option. These may remove the algae but they can also be harmful to fish and invertebrates and possibly the cycle too.

It's best to get to the root of the problem and go from there.

Ken

5. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I have this problem in my tank as well, and my Pleco seems to not care whether I have this problem or not!! lol blackouts don't seem to do anything either... I too, would like to know how to correct this issue >.> I'm cool with other non-harmful types of algae, as my goldfish eat it and it shows that you have a healthy environment in the tank, however, this spot algae is ugly and I don't like looking at it through my crystal clear glass!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    H

Heather12404 Valued Member Member

Thank you for all the replies. The cause of my algae issue is the new light bulb I bought. I thought I got the exact same type of bulb that I had before it burned out....but I guess not.
    So what light bulb do you guys recommend I buy that will make my fish/inverts look awesome and not cause this darn algae?
    I would not use any chemicals to get rid of the algae because I've done that before for other things and it killed my cycle. So I now protect my cycle at all costs.
    So will switching light bulbs make the algae I have go away? I literally cannot scrub it off my decor....believe me I have tried very hard to get it off.
    My tank is not planted...all fake stuff.

7. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

What is the bulb you replaced with? Color temperature? It's not 50/50 ( 50% daylight and 50% actinic)?

8. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

And if you don't have a razor blade, I've found that credit cards work quite nicely :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice