Green algae on floating plants?

Kathylee

Hey Fishlore! I logged on today & received my 1 year award!

I have an experimental plant TUB in my kitchen, it's about 5gal. No heater, no filter, no fish. PLANTS (& snails) ONLY. Honestly most of the plants in there I pretty much killed & am trying to revive them. It's paid off & most have re-grown and are doing well after about 3-4 months.

The past few weeks a weird algae has been growing! Almost like the kind you see floating on top of lakes & ponds, its bright green, kinda hairy looking, and seems to like to attach to weaker leaves.
I've never had this type before.

I tried taking photos: it's next to the tweezers tips:

Flyfisha

That could be green brush algae. Is it just a name you are seeking? Or are you after permission to use an algaecide ?

Upvote 0

Kathylee

That could be green brush algae. Is it just a name you are seeking? Or are you after permission to use an algaecide ?
I was just wondering what is was, it's unlike any other algae I've encountered so far! In the bottom of this bin I found some real long clumps of what looked like dark green hair algae, it came out easily. But this light algae on the RRF is weird.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Many people would think of algae as just a weed and nothing to worry about.
While other people think all algae is something to fight.

Green brush algae is a pretty algae to my eye. It’s not that much different to moss balls? In time it may get out of hand?

When getting plants from the wild or from auction I frequently use algae killer.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Many people would think of algae as just a weed and nothing to worry about.
While other people think all algae is something to fight.

Green brush algae is a pretty algae to my eye. It’s not that much different to moss balls? In time it may get out of hand?

When getting plants from the wild or from auction I frequently use algae killer.
It's not too bad yet, like I said it pops up on weak or dying leaves mostly. I'm trying to get these plants to a decent & healthy Size & then add them to my 29g.
Is this type of algae one that fish would eat? I have ottos in the 29g.

I tried using Flourish Excel as a dip on BBA covered Elodea a few times- but didn't have much luck. I put new lights on my 20g (the Aqueon hood) & ever since BBA has been growing out of control. I think I've given up on trying to beat algae lol.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I can’t speak for all species of fish but from what I have seen many species do not eat that algae until they are starving. I am not suggesting you stop feeding your fish.

I have had some success using 3% hydrogen peroxide on BBA.

If the algae is not to bad removing it by hand might help.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

So I had a very odd experience, this green algae on the RRF & Duckweed keeps spreading & I'm starting to wonder if it's from outside.. Because its bright green and fluffy, the bin has no filter, I stir the water daily though & try to keep it clean BUT it's sitting by the kitchen windows- which are open most days & in the afternoon this bin gets a little bit of direct sunlight.

The longer algae in the bottom I believe was thread or hair algae because it was 6+ inches long & weaved in and out of the stem plants. (I've been combating it by adding less fertz, using a toothebrush for manual removal, and adding a few drops of Excel)

But the algae on the floaters is persistent!

Some of these plants I put in my 15g QT to see if my Otto's would snack on any of it- since there's multiple types of algae. I was using Maracyn and a few other meds to treat the fish & the short dark green algae (black beard maybe?) melted back and turned brown, and came off the plants! The leaves are very clean. Is that normal?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I have no experience with using Maracyn and can not say if it is normal for it to kill short dark green algae sorry.
I can say any container that gets direct sunlight is likely to have algae problems sooner or later. Seriously if the floating plants that are one of the best ways to fight algae by consuming it’s food source are not winning the battle I would consider an algaecide . Yes the spores of algae like many other things float around in the air, so you could say it’s come from outside. Closing the window 24/7 will not stop air moving around and is not going to make a difference.

As strange as it may seem many people believe they can fight algae by increasing plant growth with fertiliser thereby out competing the algae for nutrients.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I don't think I can because by adding MORE fertz I just see more algae.

The algae is growing on TOP of the outer edges of the RRF, Its bright green and fuzzy, I've never seen any like it before, that's why I was wondering if maybe it cane in from the windows. My other tanks are all downstairs.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • KTshrimp
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Chewbacca773
  • Question
Replies
Views
NathJK