Help Green algae appearing last couple of days

Joel2036

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone. I’ve had an outbreak of algae over the last couple of days and it’s getting really ugly.
I’ve run out of test strips and don’t have a chance to get some more until next week. I’ve done a water change yesterday and got as much off the glass as I could but it’s still over the rocks and caves. I know the simple option is to take them out and clean them but my kribensis are in the middle of mating so I don’t want to disrupt them. Is there any other options to get it cleaned up ?
Do you guys think I need better filtration ? I’ll admit I probably leave the lights on a little bit too long each day
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't look too bad, other than that bit of tangled mess at the front. Is that algae on Java Moss? It's difficult to advise without knowing your water parameters or type and duration of lighting but typically the methods used to reduce algae is to reduce either duration or intensity of lighting and ensure that there are no excess nutrients. If your current plants are growing well you could also try adding more to take up more nutrients that may otherwise be utilised by algae.

Btw beneficial soft green algae is not always a bad thing, especially in a fry tank. Fry will often graze on it.

OP
Joel2036

Joel2036

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
More plants sounds like a winning option to me. And yeah it seems to be algae growing all over the Java moss which really makes it look bad but the kribensis in there love snacking on it so I guess I can live with that
Thanks glenn

New Threads