Great Sand Debate

bb1252
I have been researching sand for my new 90 gal cichlid tank. I think I have narrowed it down to either pool filter sand or sandblasting sand.
-Has anyone had any experience w/ either?
-Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a more creamy colored filter sand (Ive seen some that looks really unnatural)
-Is sandblasting sand safe for cichlids?
Tell me anything you know! ;D

sirdarksol
I would go with pool filter sand, mostly because it is already made for an aquatic environment and a number of people on the site have had a lot of really good luck with it.

bb1252
Thank you for your imput! I wanted to add a picture I found. Does most pool filter sand look this way? This is the only picture Ive really seen of it and it looks SO white!

sirdarksol
It will likely become less white as time goes on.

And I just realized something. Are you going with an African cichlid tank? If so, have you considered crushed shells? If you don't have naturally hard water, they'll appreciate the extra minerals, and you can get the shells in a few different colors.

Amanda
I'm using pool filter sand in my tank, and I love it! It's very easy to work with & it doesn't cloud the water.

Alasse
I did have coarse river sand in a tank, and it is creamy looking

Angela_96
I have been researching sand for my new 90 gal cichlid tank. I think I have narrowed it down to either pool filter sand or sandblasting sand.
-Has anyone had any experience w/ either?
-Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a more creamy colored filter sand (Ive seen some that looks really unnatural)
-Is sandblasting sand safe for cichlids?
Tell me anything you know! ;D

I actually use crushed coral and sand from the sw part of the fishstore (not live sand or in water in the bags)
the sand comes in diff colors that way, and you can get a good fine aquarium sand, plus using crushed coral will help the water get the parameters (hardness and ph wise) they love, not to mention you won't have to ad cichlid lake salts...

Butterfly
I have had pool filter sand from very white to a more dark creamy color, depends on what brand your pool place carries. The bags are clear, before buying look and see if it's the color you want. Pool filter sand is super easy to take care of, but one note of caution, If you have large fish the poo really shows up.
Heres some examples of color (1) is the whitest I've had. almost looked like salt.
(2) is more creamy color. Like milk with just a bit of coffee added.
Pool filter sand doesn't pack like regular sand does when it gets wet.
just my :
Carol

djr
Where do you find pool sand ?

David C
You get pool filter sand at any pool supply store. If they install pools they sell it. The salesman at mine looked at me funny when I bought some for my 10g, but oh well. It does have a tendency to clog my penguin bio-wheel filter, so I just unplug the filter while I vacuum and I haven't had a problem since.

bb1252
Thanks for all the imput! The pictures are nice-Thanks!

Butterfly
Welcome
Carol

bb1252
Carol- Do you know where you bought the darker colored sand from? I really like it.

Butterfly
It was just an ordinary pool place. The bags are usually clear, look and see if it's the color you want before buying it.
Carol

tony
I would go with the crushed shell/coral. I have sand in my 55 gallon tank and crushed coral in my 20 gallon tank and I like the coral much more than the sand. The sand looks a little nicer but it always gets sucked up into the siphon tube when I do my water changes. Its a real pain.

Slug
I'd skip the crushed coral, it traps wastes very easily. More so then a sand substrate which is more dense so the wastes stay on top.

No sand should get sucked up, just hover the vac above the sand.

tony
So don't even dig deep into the sand with the vac? Just hover above it?

angelfish220
Yes. But if you don't have MTS then you also have to stir it, as it gets gases trapped in it. But I would suggest just getting MTS as they are really easy to care for, just put them in water , and are very helpful.

Slug
You don't even have to stir the sand every waterchange either. I do mine probably once a month or so, maybe every 2 weeks. Just run some fingers around in it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
troyvsc
Replies
Views
Ulu
Replies
Views
AllieSten
Top Bottom