Great looking veil tail

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Despite everyone telling me shrimp with a betta isn't a good idea, I just can't resist, tomorrow, this little guy will have tank mates consisting of;
6x Harlequin Galaxy
2x Nerite Snail
4x Blue Velvet Shrimp
Let me know what you think about the tank and the future stock, I will be posting more pictures when I get the new tankmates

Attachments

BabsandLoon

Reaction score
You know, honestly, it depends on the betta on whether they can have tank mates.

My betta, Walter, has tank mates (including shrimp) and is just fine with them. He has danios and little Cory cats as well as some ghost shrimp. I have zero problems with any of the inhabitants of that tank.

In the other tank I have my betta, The Right Reverend Clarence Carter. He can have ZERO tank mates. I tried him with some ghost shrimp. He murdered them all in less than 24 hours. I have to strategically place plants in his tank so he cannot see his own reflection. He cannot be placed near a mirror or where he can see another fish. Despite being a Reverend, he is a straight up cold hearted ruthless murderer.

OP
jaydivingboard

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I meant Galaxy or Harlequin whoops but yes Rasboras

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it works out that will be a nice little community. I like his color

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
Nice! I just added a betta to my 38 gallon. I just kept an eye on him. No causalities so far, but he's a full moon & cannot swim faster than the tetras!

Good luck!

OP
jaydivingboard

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They didn't have any Blue Velvet Shrimp, only Crystal Shrimp and only one at the time but I got him and will be getting more next week, so far so good, he nipped at the rasboras a little at first but never truly hurt them because they were too fast and it took his attention away from the shrimp which I don't think he realizes is there yet which was what I was hoping for, I will get pictures when I turn the light back on in the morning!

OP
jaydivingboard

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Should I try shrimp again or add 3 False JulilI Corydoras

mrsP

Reaction score
You have lots of hiding places, that's excellent. This is just me, but personally I like lots of plants in my tanks, since they benefit greatley the ecology of it and plainly look nice. So I would say few more plants, that should make it easier for your future shrimps if you decide to get them again. They also help to keep water parameters more stable.

OP
jaydivingboard

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's really hard to get pictures of the little buggers but I got 5 cherry shrimp but I've only seen 4 at a time but I can barely see them when I do see them so I am sure he is okay, but it was a success they survived overnight and have now been in 2 days with no aggression from the betta except at first when he thought they were food but they are so fast he quickly gave up on them and he doesn't mess with them now that they are established

Attachments

OP
jaydivingboard

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I said he when almost all cherry shrimp you buy is a she, I committed blasphemy whoops

Trenzalore

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I bought glass shrimp with my old betta, 3 of the 5 were preggo and the adults died but some of the babies lived. So, the babies that lived were born into and grew used to my water parameters, which made them hardier. If my new betta leaves them alone, they may reproduce further. If I were you, I would find a few shrimp at the pet store that are gravid and get those for your tank, so your babies can be born into your environment like mine were.

New Threads