Great Deals On Driftwood :)

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by stella1979, Mar 23, 2019.

1. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Hey folks. :) I'm building a vivarium and purchased one large, gnarly, really excellent piece of driftwood at a reptile expo for a great price... and was later in the position of looking for more of that exact wood type. The piece I have is sandblasted grapewood by ZooMed to be specific, and in my search for more of that, I found the prices online and in stores are quite a bit higher... like, smaller pieces that cost significantly more than the large piece I already have.:confused: Don't wanna wait for the next expo to get this build going, so another search for unbranded sandblasted grapewood led me to this site. They are having a 20% off sale right now but even their regular prices are significantly less than what I am finding for ZooMed pieces outside of an expo.

Of course, I want to share the savings with all of you.:) You might want to take time to look around too as there are some really cool tree pieces for large animal enclosures or just to decorate with. I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen tree-like pieces of cholla wood AND, they've got really big pieces for less than $30.:D Also, I ordered with them later in the afternoon yesterday and got a notice that a mailing label had been created within an hour or two, and it is already shipping today. Gotta love that quick processing time!

Hope this post finds some of you that are on the search for aquarium wood.:D

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I am very glad to see that you are finding this company to be reliable because I have found them on a shopping app where they had terrible reviews.

3. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Eek! Well, I can't give them a glowing review just yet. The final results of this remain to be seen and now I'm thinking that perhaps I should have waited until I actually receive the order. All I can say for now is that they've got cheap prices and the processing looks to be moving along. This is not always the case when making orders just before the weekend. So, let's leave it at... I am mildly impressed so far, but will hold my final review until receipt. Thanks for chiming in so that others may see what I have not as of yet, and move forward as they see fit.

4. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Guess it should be said that despite the early shipping notification, the sticks didn't get here for a week. No biggie though. They're nice AND felt cheap enough... 'course, the shipping gets ya but with that included I spent about $20 on two 12" pieces of gnarly sandblasted grapewood. I like 'em and have seen similar selling in stores for more than I paid. So, in the end, I'm happy to say that I'm pleased with the company

5. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Aw that’s not good.:( At least they are decent, but I do hate it when companies send shipping notifications and not actually ship... I’m fine with a day or two in advanced(for label being printed) but don’t like it when it’s a week...

6. AmynnasValued MemberMember

You can wait just as long for ordering fish online. Although that seems kinda long for some driftwood but really a week isn't terrible. I ordered some from amazon and didn't get it for three weeks.

7. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

No a week isn’t bad, that’s how long it typically takes. I just dislike it when sellers act like they’ve shipped something when they haven’t. I prefer to know when something is going to arrive rather than expecting it on the wrong dates.

8. AmynnasValued MemberMember

oh I completely understand that but I was looking at their prices and they do have great prices for some nice driftwood it looks like. Would love to see pics of yours from them before making a purchasing decision for my 29 gallon gourami tank

9. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Indeed, I too find it aggravating when a company sends a shipping notification very, very early. I don't mind that a label is created a day or two before, that I get a notification email for that, or a week for delivery... what was aggravating here was that they created the label and I got the shipment notification within a couple of hours of the order on Thursday morning (two Thursday's ago) which led me to believe it would ship the next day. Did it get shipped that Friday? Nope, and that's totally fine by me as is the weekend going by without shipping. How about Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday? Nope, the package started moving on the following Thursday morning and was here by Saturday late afternoon. So, the price was good, the package moved fast, but the checking every morning for several days to see if the labeled package which I had received a shipping notification about had begun its route... to find that it still had not... again and again... well, that was annoying.:meh: However, I am happy with what I received, what I paid, and it's totally okay that it took 8 days to get here. So, I will feel comfortable ordering from them again, knowing it'll take a week and that I should disregard any early shipment notifications.:rolleyes:

As for the wood itself. I misspoke earlier in saying that I ordered two 12" pieces. That was the original plan until just before ordering, when I put the big piece I have in the ExoTerra for the first time and considered how little room it left for more... so in actuality, I ordered to 10" pieces of sandblasted grapewood.

I do want this terrarium to be full and lush, so please consider that there is also a false bottom to install, a foam background with cork pieces and plant pots to add, layers of live substrate, and lots of plants as well.:D I've also got some fake vines, the twisty kind.:) Lots o' stuff to add to the tank, so with that in mind, here it is with Pan's tiny current home, about an inch of substrate, and all the wood. You'll see that despite my efforts at buying more of the exact same wood type, the two brands are different colors. Oh well, guess that means I'll need plenty of moss and vines to make the whole thing cohesive.:D

1 large piece of ZooMed wood and the 2 smaller pieces of AquaTerra's. Pan is hiding in the fakery (fake plants and paper towel that are in the bin) underneath it all.:) Does everyone else see a funny face in the piece of AquaTerra to the left?:p
    2019-04-02-17-57-59.jpg

Just the AquaTerra pieces
    2019-04-02-17-58-43.jpg

With the 5g TopFin and a yoyo in view for perspective.:p
    2019-04-02-18-00-03.jpg

10. AmynnasValued MemberMember

wow those are some impressive pieces I must say.

11. JenCWell Known MemberMember

I'm eyeing a few of their pieces now. Thanks for the link!

Edit:
    I just impulse purchased a 12" and a 18". :oops:

I know grapewood may not last long but if it holds up a year I won't complain. I have a 29g set up I've been ignoring forever but I really need to get it going. Thanks for the motivation!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2019
  12. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Awesomesauce Jen!:D Please do tag me if you have or make a build thread for that 29g. I'm not on the up and up about wood types, though did find out after buying the first piece that grapewood degrades faster than others. Oh well, I already had that big gnarly piece that I love and got it for only $17.:D Figured for the prices I paid, I'll be happy if it lasts a year in a humid terrarium... but it left me wondering how this cheap stuff would do under water. I'd love to watch your build/tank progress.;)

13. Jack B NimbleValued MemberMember

I see the face and love terrariums.

14. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Thanks @Jack B Nimble and I'm glad you're here. :)

The big terrarium build is gonna be a slow one. It's on hold for the moment until Pan the crestie can move from the bin to the 5g grow out. To put it plainly, it's easier to maintain his temp and humidity by keeping the bin in the ExoTerra. Can't exactly stick a heat mat onto the plastic shoe box she/he's in.:p

The more I write about this, the more I think all of the info on this thread belongs on Pan's announcement/build thread. I won't move it all because I started this thread with the intention of sharing the news about cheap driftwood. So, this thread will remain, but for further updates on the build, please check out my Gecko thread in the Reptiles forum.:)

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/stella-and-jos-gecko-terrariums.397561/