Great Deal on 10 Gallon!

1. fighter55 Member Member

Hello everyone! I am very happy because my friend who is leaving(this is sad) is going to give me his old 10 Gallon! It's in great shape, and I'm also getting lights, heater, filter, and hood. I've been looking at some other posts and you people have me eager to try out some new species! :) I've researched a lot and I'm hoping these fish will be okay in a ten gallon. Oh yeah, its a long tank. Here's the stock:
    6 Mollies(2 male, 4 female)
    Dwarf Crayfish(not sure how many)
    2-3 Badis Badis

Let me know what you think!

2. LockedBox Member Member

Crayfish can be tricky to keep, usually they will fight with your fish, be eaten by fish or they fight with each other. For a ten gal, you should only get one and you should do lots of research before hand just to be sure that you know what you want. What species did you have in mind? Out off all of the crayfish the orange mexican dwarf crayfish is the most community friendly, as it is small, non aggressive and unlike other crayfish it won't obliterate all of your plants. They will fight among themselves though, so you should only get one.

I'm not a mollie expert, but I know that mollies are brackish fish. For them you will need a brackish set up and a hydrometer of some kind in order to keep them happy. I really wouldn't try to keep them in a community setting.

3. spdrbob Member Member

Was just at Petsmart tonight , keeping and eye on a couple fish I was thinking of buying when a crayfish took down a kissing guorami ( to the delight of the barbs). I decided I would think twice about adding one of those to any community tank.

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Mollies get to big for a ten gallon you could do guppies instead 3 males maybe so you don't get fry.

5. fighter55 Member Member

Mollies don't have to be in brackish water is what I have heard and seen many times. What if I just got 3 mollies? Would that work? Also, why just one crayfish? I heard that they are good in numbers. This is one of examples I've found:

Compatibility: They do well in great numbers but they should not be housed together with any larger crayfish as they will not last very long. Despite their smallness they will not shy away from any type of confrontation even it means a fight to the death. They can be tanked together with any shrimp and fish except the big aggressive fish types.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

The mollies have to have a salt content to the water in order to survive. 3 would probably be the max that I would put in there if any at all. They can get a bit big for a 10. I had one QT'd in a 10 for a while and she used the entire tank and I could tell she wanted a little more room.

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Alright I personally wouldn't do 90% of the list you have in a 10 gallon.

Mollies can get up to 6 inches each and they have big bioloads. The badis badis I am not familiar with but after reading they seem to be a okay species for a 10 gallon. Then the crayfish I can't remember what one you listed but I personally don't think there is a large enough footprint for crayfish. I would do shrimp or something instead and then I'd do some endlers and maybe a couple of the dwarf sunfish as well.

Mollies can happily live fresh OR brackish. They are a widely argued fish for if they are a true "freshwater" or "brackish" or even "saltwater" The truth is they can accept any from what I've experienced. I know people who have had them in their saltwater tanks for years and the same with having them in their freshwater tanks for years. They just can handle a wide range of specific gravities but yes they can live in freshwater tanks. I actually have 3 or 4 I believe in my planted tank.

To be considered full brackish I believe that have to NEED salt to live or they die. Therefore I would not consider them brackish I would just consider them a magical fish that can live in a wide range of salinities. :;ufo

8. fighter55 Member Member

I was considering a Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish. What tank size would I need to get them?

9. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have a Crayfish in my 60 gallon tank. Everytime a fish swims by he raises his pinchers up to get the fish even though it is hopeless (my fish are too big). One day he got on top of a rock and as one of my Blood Parrot Fish swam buy he suddently, without warning jumped down on my Parrot! Of course the fish got away, but not before the crayfish cut one of his fins. No major damage done, but it just goes to show you that the crayfish thinks there is eternal hope. He tries all the time still.:;saber

10. fighter55 Member Member

Do you mean a regular crayfish that can get big, or a dwarf crayfish that only gets about 1-1.5" long? Also: The Mollies I was looking at are short finned mollies, not sail fin.

11. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I blame Dino for these fish then.....

Thank you for the education on them, I had always been told that thy really did prefer the salt but if they can thrive in all those environments then awesome.

12. fighter55 Member Member

I did some more research, and I have dropped the Badis Badis and mollies. However, I still want the Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish. Instead, I think I might want to do an Invert. Tank with Crayfish and Shrimp, and maybe snails. Here is what I had in mind for the ten gallon:
    1-2 Mexican Orange DWARF(not regular) Crayfish
    13 Ghost shrimp
    13 Yellow Shrimp
    2 Mystery Snails

What do you think?

13. fighter55 Member Member

Oh yeah I have so many shrimp on the list because I read that you can have up to 10 shrimp per gallon.

14. bigblue55 Member Member

Putting this online instead of telling you in real life so others can put in their opinion too. IMO that might be a little overstocked for the bottom half of the tank. If you provide driftwood or something else to climb on it may work. Make sure you give the crayfish a cave too. Also: the cray should work with the shrimp because the get to the same size, and the shrimp are faster than the crayfish. For climbing I would recommend so cross-stitched plastic sheets(craft stores), driftwood, one of those fish terraces that go into the corner of the tank, or plants. Put plants and/or driftwood next to one of the fish terraces so the shrimp or crayfish can climb onto it.

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member