Greasy Betta...

BettaLucy

Reaction score
Hi, bit worried about my Betta, Lucifer. Last few days his fins haven't looked as fluffy and fanned as normal, if he was human he'd look like he has greasy hair, hence the title.

My water is a PH of 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5ppm, as it's only a 23 litre tank we have twice weekly water changes to keep things fresh, he has resting spots and places to explore and he only has 4 Khuli's, 4 Kitty Tetras & 4 Harlequin Rasboras, for tank mates. There's no aggression from anyone. He gets a mix of foods, flakes, daphne, cyclops, bloodworms, but not enough to cause water problems or constipation...

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Lucy's Dad.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you post a few pictures? Could be fin melt, which is kinda a slower form of fin rot. There's a chance his fins are getting nipped from the other fish though, generally it is best to avoid mid/top dwelling species like tetras and rasboras with bettas.

Side note: 23L is about 6gals and IMO a 10gal is the min tank size I'd have for the loaches and tetras. I feel the tank is overstocked and will likely lead to problems later on. For the current stock I'd have at least a 20gal long.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would say a 20 gal minimum for your current stock, ideally a 29 gal since you have two schooling species.

The betta is likely stressed with so many tank mates in such a small space.

Fishlover1996

Reaction score
I'm not trying to sound harsh, but that is terribly overstocked. Harlequin Rasboras are perfect mates for a Betta, as they live with each other in the wild. Tetras are okay as long as you monitor any fin nipping, and separate the two if any problems arise. Loaches are fine as well. But all of those mixed with a Betta need at least a 20 gallon tank, but preferably bigger because Rasboras and tetras are schooling fish and you need at least six of each. Keep the 6 gallon, as it's plenty big enough for the Betta on his own. But please put the other fish in a bigger tank and add to their schools.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom