Grayish spot on one of my guppies

Jdefra

Hello, I'm a little worried about one of my 3 guppies. I have a 30 gallon tank, added live plants and fully cycled before I introduced fish, fish for about 3 months. I just did a water change Monday, levels had been fine before that, it was just time for a water change. Tested levels today and are all looking great, no ammonia. I noticed today that only one of my 3 guppies has a sort of grayish spot (see pic) he's not acting weird and the others don't have anything like this. I also have a pleco who seems totally fine. Since I'm still new to fishkeeping I'm worried about things like itch and fish lice but it doesn't look like either of those things based on what I'm seeing. Any ideas?? ☹

Attachments

• PXL_20210609_175423995.jpg
    PXL_20210609_175423995.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 20

Ghelfaire

It might be something as simple as a few missing scales

Upvote 0

Jdefra

It might be something as simple as a few missing scales
That would definitely help ease my mind. Is that a normal thing to happen? Would it happen if maybe he brushed up against something in the tank? (Thanks for the response )

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

If that is what it is (and nothing bacterial) then yes he would have scratched himself on something sharp

Upvote 0

Jdefra

If that is what it is (and nothing bacterial) then yes he would have scratched himself on something sharp
What are some symptoms I should look out for in case it's something bacterial or something else?

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

The grayness will spread, he'll eat less, swim less, etc...

Upvote 0

Jdefra

Thanks so much

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

No problem, keep us updated.
Oh, and keep the water quality pristine. Whatever it is clean water will help.

Upvote 0

Jdefra

No problem, keep us updated.
Oh, and keep the water quality pristine. Whatever it is clean water will help.
Great point, I'll keep it extra clean and I just did a water change Monday so that should be easy to do

Upvote 0

Tayler

What are some symptoms I should look out for in case it's something bacterial or something else?
If it turns into fungus you will probably see some kind of white film or white fuzzy stuff around/on the wound and the fishes body. If the fungus progresses the fish may become less active and not eat.
Bacterial infections could look like white patches on the fishes body or fins, and bloody sores on the fishes mouth and/or body. One type of a bacterial infection is columnaris.

Upvote 0

Jdefra

If it turns into fungus you will probably see some kind of white film or white fuzzy stuff around/on the wound and the fishes body. If the fungus progresses the fish may become less active and not eat.
Bacterial infections could look like white patches on the fishes body or fins, and bloody sores on the fishes mouth and/or body. One type of a bacterial infection is columnaris.
That's great information, thank you so much. I'll keep an eye on him and see if anything changes into what you described

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Lprit
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Stripedbass
  • Question
  • goosenewton
  • Guppy
Replies